can a soaker hose be used with 5 gallon containers

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

next year, i will be planting all my vegetables into 5 gallon containers, besides using my eb's
would it be feasible, (and worthwhile) to drill a hole on each side of the container large enough to accomodate a soaker hose and then just run the hose through each container and attach the hose to a timmer. if you were to do this, where would you place the holes? at the bottom of the container, in the middle or just at the soil level? i know that i would have to place the containers a few feet apart and that the hose would be exposed each time but i fighred i would be able to place my herb plants under the hose that is not in the container. i have been thinking about this for awhile now and i think it has possibilities. any thoughts please???? naturally i wouldn't do this with the eb's, but then again maybe i can. since i leave for work before sunrise i thought it would be a perfect way to water the plants before i got hom at 4 in the afternoon when the sun is out in full force.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Good idea -- I love soaker hose. I'd run the hose at or near the soil surface... you may not need to drill holes, just drape the hose into the pot. Running it through holes would maybe give a neater appearance but would also prevent you from easily moving or turning your pots.

You might also look into drip irrigation, which could work better for containers. You could run the tubing between all your containers and use a couple of drip emitters in each big pot. I got some good help for the drip system we put in our little orchard from http://mrdrip.com/

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Check out Chuck1260's post just below, "Spot Spitters for Pots," for some pros & cons

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

that is some web site but since i already have the 100 ft. soaker hose i think i will go with that. maybe i could just wrap the hose around the base of the plant just once and then continue on to the next one. glad you think it could work. to be honest, i'm getting tired of digging in the garden and folling around with all the weeds. just getting too old for this. lol.

Arroyo Grande, CA

Check out the spot spitters. Roberts Irrigation has a web site with some information. They work very well. Lots of container growers use them. http://www.robertsirrigation.com/drip/irrigation/spot-spitter.html

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

thanks for the info.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.