conjoined triplet squash!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

This is a "white zucchini" that a friend gave me from her garden. It's actually 3 squash, fused together! I certainly did a double take (or maybe a triple take) when I took this one out of the bag!

Edited to add that it was delicious! I'll have to find out where she got the seeds for this one.... lovely taste & texture, and very thin & tender skin!

This message was edited Jul 19, 2005 11:48 PM

Thumbnail by critterologist
Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

You take the best looking veggie pictues! My mouth has been watering. :)

That is one strange squash. I wonder what would cause something like that?

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Maybe it was a triple blossom... I've seen double blossoms that produce double tomatoes, and I think somebody recently posted a triplet tomato picture... It's definitely odd!

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

That's a good one! Is that from Irene's garden? Good looking yellow squash too. We had some of ours grilled tonight. With squash that big you can:

Scoop it out, saute' it with some onions & garlic add bulgur and some fresh diced tomato, whatever herbs you want, put it all back in the emptied squash top with cheese and bake @ 400 until heated through. We usually grill the zucchini shell and then put the stuffing in before baking.

Why don't you get another squash and save the seeds? Assuming you ate all of that one.

We ate your tomatoes, YUM! Thank You.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

That sounds good, although this squash wasn't really big enough to stuff, but I saw some zucchini at the farmer's market last week that were as big as my arm! As far as saving seeds, Irene may still have some seeds for it (she was ordering these big seed packets from some Italian company), but I'm pretty sure you have to let a squash get quite mature before you can save seeds, just like a cucumber.

Southern Mountains, GA(Zone 6b)

Just last week I had a double yellow crookneck squash. Doesn't seem to be that unusal in my garden for yellow squash but I don't think I've even seen a multiple zucchini. Very interesting.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.