A little help, guys

Mount Pleasant, MI(Zone 5b)

Hey guys, I would love everyone's input on this combination.

I want to seed a large bed with Hollyhocks and Poppies!? What do you guys think? Should the Poppies be dying back just as the Hollyhocks take over? Has anyone tried this before with success (or failure)?

I want to have about 60 square feet of bed, so can anyone help me figure out how much seed? I figured I should get started soon. Isn't it time to sow both of those from seed?

Thanks guys,

Nick

X-posted in Perrenial Forum

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

Nick.....Holy cow, that's alot of Hollyhock growing.....Poppies for the most part come up in early summer, like June, and Hollyhocks arrive around mid July....and die back by mid august.....I have all sorts of Hollyhock seed for you if you want....Different colors....Just let me know....I have some very old double pink ones, and a very dark purple one that is almost black in color....and some pinkish colored ones....I will have the seed in Aug for you if you want....I may have some red ones too....

Deann

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

Nick....forgot to show you a picture of one of the colors.....however, yesterday we had this storm blow in out of nowhere....winds were whipping like a tornado and bowed over these hollyhocks....I have them staked up with twine and hopefully they will grow straight again...

Deann

Thumbnail by deann

Deann,

Those are awesome! You don't think August is too late to plant them? Though, if they fall off the plant by then, they must be ready ! :P

I would love to have whatever you can spare. I am afraid I don't really have much to trade, except for a dozen or so Lupines... pink and white.

Do you have any idea how much seed it might take to accomplish my lofty goal?

Thanks,
Nick

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

Nick....You do know that Hollyhocks are bi-annual...so you may not get any flowers next year....I would plant them as soon as you get the seed this year.....Most of the time they fall from the plant and seed themselves...thats what happens in my garden. I have a bunch of babies I probably can give you....Let me go out and count them tomorrow....and if you like I can either put them in the mail, or you can come and get them.....I am probably 1 1/2 hours away from you.....

As for how much seed you will need for a 60 sq. foot area....I would say probably 6 cups of seed......but your not gonna get flowers for two years.....unless you plant babies this year....

Deann

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

i just let them grow where ever they come up! I have tons of babies if you want a head start.

Thumbnail by notmartha
Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

here is the pic i was looking for-you can see the HHock growing in the middle of the poppies it is just budding at this time.

Guys, I could never think to just ask for those plants.. I don't have anything to offer yet.. I just bought the house last year, and I am kinda young to Gardening (only 27, ya know).
I can use all the help I can get, but I hate to be such a leech.

I got it! Any of you ladies need a pickle jar opened, or something off of a high shelf in the pantry... or a couch moved? I am the guy.. Will trade for plants :)

Nick

This message was edited Jul 19, 2005 10:08 PM

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

nick really i have lots of stuff I just pull and toss cuz its in the wrong area-i have lots of HHock babies to spare and can maybe still find some poppy seeds for ya!
you can do for postage or come get them.

:)
happy gardening!

Thumbnail by notmartha

Hoo boy! Thanks a ton! I am not sure when I would get a chance to get over to BC. But when would be a good time and date?

Now I think I will spend all day tomorrow turning the grass/weeds into bed for the new poppies and hollyhocks. Gee I hope it is super hot and humid.

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

Nick.......When Dori says she will give you Hollyhock babies, she means it.....she is one of the most giving gardeners I know....and by the way, that's what gardeners do....SHARE....someday you will have some stuff we want....Let me know when your coming over to BC, I will make sure I have my babies over to Dori's, so you can have all the colors you need....

Dori......those purple flowers, are they Poppies??

Deann

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

deann they are the clustered bellflowers-need some???

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

Dori......I would love some......I am coming to BC myself tomorrow.... I will stop by.....Thankee.....Hugzzz

Deann

Bancroft, MI

Hi Nick,

I have holly hock seeds if you want them. Mine are the carnival hollyhocks. They flower the first year from seed (have to plant them in the spring time - too late this year I think for flowers). Got a baby jar full of them - mixed colors. You can have them if you want, just send me a bubble envelope with postage already on it.

Coleen

Kalamazoo, MI

I've had hollyhock plants for a few years. New plants come up every year, but no flowers. Just transplanted them from full sun, but competition from butterfly bushes, to the east side of my garage where they'll get sun all morning.

What can I do to get them to bloom?

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

You do know that Hollyhocks are biannual....after the new plants come up they neeed another year before they will flower....

Deann

Cedar Springs, MI(Zone 5b)

What gorgeous garden photos!
I LOVE that last one!

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

Cottage Rose.....what photo's are you talking about????

Deann

Cedar Springs, MI(Zone 5b)

All of them!

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Could we have pics of how the Hollyhocks and Poppies turned out?

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

BloomsWithAView ....whose pictures are you talking about....?? Did you want to see pictures of ,my hollyhocks??

Deann

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

deann they are talking about the pics in this thread above and blooms wants to see Nicks pics how they turned out

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Yep, want to see how his garden of hocks and popps worked out. Think it sounds a great idea... thinking I'd try it myself this year.

Yooo hoo Nick... pics please.

...and Dori - I've never seen anyone with such a field of bellflowers what a happy garden. ~Blooms

Heh.. you guys are gonna be mad at me... ;) I decided I needed to do a little more hardscaping in the area first... So next season for the hocks and poppys....

be nice.. ;)

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

now Nick when are we not 'nice' ???
hardscaping hunh? what'd ou make? paths?
LOL ~Blooms

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

Nick...your gonna be sorry you did not put the hollyhocks in....now you will have to wait 2 more years for them to show up and flower....

Deann

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

nick come here and digggggggggg up some of mine i have way to many!!!!!!!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.