Lilacs in July

Bridgman, MI(Zone 5a)

This is Josee, a semi dwarf lilac that blooms about 3 times a season. This one is for those of us that can't get enough of lilacs blooming. She smells wonderful and requires very little attention (other then telling her how pretty she is).She will end up 4'-6' tall in about10 years. One of my favorite acqusitions this past year.

Thumbnail by purpleice
Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Purpleice,
That is a very pretty lilac. To bloom in July! Unreal!
I love lilacs but mine bloom in the spring. I have Miss Kim and it is a nice, dwarf, and great fragrant lilac.
If you ever get any babies of the one, would love to trade with you.
Carol

Bridgman, MI(Zone 5a)

Carol,
Thats a deal. I'll keep you in mind.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Beautiful. Thank you for giving us the name so we can look for it.

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

My Miss Kim is blooming a bit right now too, not nearly the same push as the spring. Miss Kim starts quite easily from cuttings but I have found she is a little tempermental(that doesn't look right, spelling that is) in transplanting.And this is the time daisyruffles to take those cuttings.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Oh really, Joann? I just started some cuttings to root for a DG person. Cool! Am glad that I did something right. My 'Miss Kim' bloomed some this spring. I didn't realize that it could bloom that long. I only got it last year so maybe later in life it will.
I am going to look at a nursery for that 'Josee' tho. I really like the look of it.
Carol

Oak Grove, MN(Zone 4a)

I wanted Josee because I had heard she reblooms. Thanks for the proof! She's on my must have list now.

Bridgman, MI(Zone 5a)

Josee lilac and Tiger Swallowtail on August 1. The hummers like it too, but I couldn't get a photo.

Thumbnail by purpleice
Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Oh, my, what a beautiful pic of both things.
Can't believe that the lilac is still blooming. Must have it, hehe!
Carol

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Purpleice, what a fantastic photo. That could be enlarged and framed. Beautiful.

Bridgman, MI(Zone 5a)

I'm going to try propagating this lilac this fall. I've never tried that on anything so I guess it's time I tried. If I succeed I'll let everyone know. I'm going by what Rececca Cole suggests. Wish me luck and thank's for the comments. It may be a year before I know anything. Next project, propagating roses.
"Our reach should exceed our grasp" or the ability to buy roses rather than try to start them from one you already have.

Anne

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Anne, I just stuck a bunch of roses. I am working on that this week. I am starting 5 of several of my favorites. I am hoping just one will root of each. I have started a few in the past but never super successful with roses. My dd and I have all kinds of things in the GH now stuck and on the heating cable. It is so much fun to do this too.

Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

A lilac that blooms 3x! I must have this one!! I bought about 5 lilac starts this spring from the Hulda Klager lilac place in southern WA. They will take 3-5 years to get a decent size and bloom. I thought I could wait. I'm already going nuts. I will buy the Josee in a bigger size. A person can only have so much patience! (I am also rooting roses which is a slow process but my sister has hundreds and it seemed prudent to try and root some of hers rather than spending $$$.)

Do you know of any other lilac variety that reblooms?

Gwen

Bridgman, MI(Zone 5a)

Select Plus International Nursery lists several. You have all kinds of choices.
Anne

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Does anyone have a website to order this beauty? I want one now! LOL

My lilacs only bloom in the spring, and this year they didn't hardly bloom at all. We had a late spring storm that froze all the blossom buds. :(

So, reblooming lilacs? It's a dream come true.

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Purpleice and all, does anyone know the name of the lilac (syringa vulgaris) that almost looks blue when in bloom? I have the lavendar, dark purple, Sensation(dark purple with a white edge), and I think my minis are all Miss Kim.

Bridgman, MI(Zone 5a)

"Noctourne" from 1936 is the only one I found that looks blue. Hope this helps.

Anne

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.