asparagus rejuvination

Proctorville, OH(Zone 5b)

I am new to this forum... Tho, I've been wandering 'round Dave's for a year or two.
and.... I was wondering if you can take an old asparagus bed & dig it up & get good asparagus?
If so how would you do this?
Abigail

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

How old is the bed, Abigail? A bed started well in the first place should prosper for many years, sometimes upwards of 15. What does the bed look like now...clearing weeds might help, as asparagus doesn't like competition.

It is alongside my neighbors driveway... Right in front of the weeds. They mow up to it. It is probably a little rocky, but the bed itself still looks like the asparagus stalks in the sparse grass. It is all gone to seed now, of course.
I thought I could move it over to our place... I wonder how deep the roots are?
Thank you for such a quick reply!

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Wow, I think it would be easier to start a new bed. But if they wanted to keep it, a nice thick layer of chopped leaves would be a great way to both feed it and suppress weeds. Lucky!

You are right of course.... LOL It was a wild hair thought... But I dig & move everything else, Why not asparagus? And with the leafy mulch, & cut back... Next year or even 2 the asparagus would be edible/good?
Thanks, Ab

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Asparagus beds usually start out as a trench and lots of compost is worked in. The first roots are planted below the regular ground level and then in succeeding years more layers of compost are added until the bed is filled to level with the surrounding area. So the roots often go quite deep. Since the bed you're looking at is mostly grass, etc. you would be better off getting out what roots you can and moving them elsewhere. It would be better to dig them with a spading fork rather than a shovel as the space between the tines allows more of the roots to come out unbroken (like digging iris rhizomes, only deeper.) Here's info re beds: http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/envirohort/426-401/426-401.html

This message was edited Jul 17, 2005 10:46 PM

Thank you, It sounds like hardy plant. I think I will take a look at it. I am a sucker for a challenge.
Ab

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.