Which varieties to plant for fall harvest?

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 6b)

I'd like to plant some lettuce, spinach, cukes, onions, chives, and mustard greens now to --hopefully-- harvest in the fall.
Any particular varieties I should try? I live in zone 6b and my garden gets about 6 hours of sun a day.

Thanks!!

Audubon, PA(Zone 6b)

We like Oak Leaf & Romaine lettuce and Tendergreen mustard. Chinese cabbages (Bok Choi) do well for the Fall garden. Many types to choose from...they're all good! Don't really have an opinion on the others--spinach, cukes,chives, onions.
GOOD luck!!
LD

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

down here we can't do fall onions (shorter days)

since cukes are tender (to frost), make sure you pick the shortest season one you can find, like 50 days or so to maturity

there is a spoon mustard called tat soi that looks yummy, haven't tried it yet myself

my favorite spinach is bloomsdale, seems like there is a variety you can mulch & over winter, will get back to you on that

fall gardens are marvelous! best wishes!

edited to add link:
http://www.motherearthnews.com/library/2002_August_September/Fall____in_Love_With_Spinach

This message was edited Jul 17, 2005 1:45 AM

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 6b)

Thank you TamaraFaye and Cottonpicker for the suggestions. I got some Oak Leaf and some Romaine. I'm still trying to find the Bloomsdale and Tat Soi. Gardening is not that popular here in Brooklyn and finding gardening supplies can be difficult. I may have to order them.
Let me know if you find the name of the spinach that can over winter.

Cheers,
nyrunningback

Audubon, PA(Zone 6b)

nyrunningback... I've got a few Tat-soi seeds leftover. They're not my fav, so you can have them. I've also got a few other types of BokChoy seeds to spare if you're interested in trying. Just send me a "personal e-mail" with your mailing address. How many plants can your garden accommodate?
LD

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

it is bloomsdale spinch, as far as i can tel...

http://www.seedsofchange.com/garden_center/product_details.asp?item_no=S10746&q=bloomsdale

that is also where i got the tai-soi, but LD's seeds are free :-)

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 6b)

Thank you TamaraFaye for the info. I'll order some from Seeds of Change. And thank you Cottonpicker for the seed offer. I sent you a personal email about that.

Cheers,
nyrunningback

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

just a tip, i found at our aggie univ hort site a chart for fall planting dates, maybe you could find one for your zone, maybe cornell univ?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.