Solar Intensity as a function of time (angle in sky)?

West Palm Beach, FL

Hello,

I'm rather curious about the following subject:

Disregarding effects of clouds (and other weather), and southward movements as year progresses: Is there a function where I may know the intensity of the sun with respect to the angle of the sun relative to the ground? Perhaps this data may be derived from observation and empiricism to take into account atmospheric filtering effects which are always present (unlike weather and southward movements). These filtering effects prevent blindly using mathematical formula without observational backing.

I believe this phenominom (either is, or is related to) "Effective Heating" (the intensity of a given quantity of solar energy projected upon a region.)

Assuming noon and midnight happen when the sun is directly above or under, I suggest the following terminology so as to keep our discussion synchronous with what we mean:

Premise and terminology:

Solar intensity is greatest ~noon.
- Lets call this 100% intensity.
- Sun is at 90 degree angle to surface.

Solar intensity is weakest ~midnight
- Lets call this 0% intensity
- Sun is at a 270 degree angle to surface.

Degrees: Counterclockwise, where 0 degrees is straight line going on origin. I attached an exagerrated comical image to define points of reference of location.

And yes, that's the "Angry Sun" from Super Mario Bros. 3. I felt the characature is appropriate given the hot weather in Florida.

This message was edited Jul 16, 2005 5:15 PM

Thumbnail by krystian
Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

Well, it's a pretty intensive study you want to do, but here's a paper discussing it:

http://www.me.mtu.edu/~sshaikah/Chapter6_Solar.pdf

West Palm Beach, FL

What search queries did you use to locate this? Effective Heat?

You rock. This paper is awesome.

This message was edited Jul 16, 2005 10:29 PM

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

The best data I can easily understand is Degree Days (heating/cooling days), with historical data based on latitude, time of year, sun's angle, etc. I used it a lot when I did some passive solar design work.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

Sorry krystian, I never put this on my thread watch so did not see your question.

Just googled Angstrom Prescott relationship, and before you ask why....me and DH were shall we say....math junkies when we met 10 years ago. These discussions took up many of our hours.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.