Dahlias from seed

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Swan Island Dahlias offers a package of seed for $10 from their own stock.There is at least 500 seeds in a packet. This is not a bedding dahlia but a full grown specimen type. I think it would be very interesting to have a group of us grow these and see what unique something that we can come up with. I have grown seed for a couple of years now and have saved about 5 different ones and named them.Technically each seedling is genetically something all together new and unique. The only way to be assured of the exact replica is a tuber or cutting. I had one really great one last year but dummy me didn't get it marked before frost so I could not say exactly which is was. A lot of the seedlings are collarettes or single but occasionally you come up with something really unique. I usually start seed early in the greenhouse.

Have any of you grown this kind of seed and do you have pictures of any of your own?

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Joann,
This sounds interesting. I would be interested in doing this. I would try anything that is dahlia related.
Carol

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

It really is a lot of fun, I always think of finding Easter Eggs as a kid when I grow these. They are so bright and colorful and you just don't know if you might find the prize egg.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.