Watermelons are in!

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

First early. Wetzels version of the Stone Mountain.

Thumbnail by Farmerdill
Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

This thing is actually an off white. The photo did not turn out true color. The cultivar is Cream of Saskatchewan. Seems identical in appearance and taste to the white fleshed Japanese watermelon, Henry Field promoted in the 60's.

Thumbnail by Farmerdill
Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Farmer the Red one makes my mouth water I wish I could grow melons.The cream one looks to have a lot of seeds is that typical for that one? I have never seen anything but red melons thanks for the pic. Ernie

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Those look fantastic. I think the white ones always look "seedier" because there's sharper contrast & the seeds are more visible. Wish I saw melons like those at market.

I'm growing Ali Baba and Golden Midget watermelons in my clay soil; figured they wouldn't grow at all but so far so good. Ali Baba's already football-sized.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Farmer, I have a question. We picked a watermelon last week, it had alot of white around the outside like yours does, We kind of felt that it needed another week or two, is yours completely ripe? just wondering.

here's my melons, no names, Just melons , I have no idea which they are. they make me hungry for watermelon

Thumbnail by kathy_ann
Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Good looking melons, kathy Ann. The Stone Mountain has a thick rind. It was ripe but not over ripe. Cream of Sas has a very thin rind. It cracked open on the way from the patch to the kitchen. Has to be handled with care. Stone Mountain was a shipping melon. Had to stand the long train ride from Georgia to New York.

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

yummy!

Pickens, SC(Zone 7a)

We had the craziest weather here in upstate S.C. My moon and stars are blooming ..will they have time to make melons before frost ?

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

You should have plenty of time. The melons set now should mature in the last weeks of August. You would then have melons when all of the normal crop is gone.

Pickens, SC(Zone 7a)

oohhh...I LOVE watermelon and that is no lie :). I went out this morning and saw some tiny grape sized ones..this is my first year growing moon and stars...should I do anything special to them now. ?

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

No. Just be vigilant for powdery mildew and keep the baking soda handy. Not usually a problem, But the wet humid conditions this year are favorable. Already had it attack the cantaloupes.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

For those of you that still think all watermelons are red fleshed, This type is the best eating of them all, This is a Crimson sweet, yellow flesh. Not the best of the yellow/orange fleshed types but a very good melon in it own right.

Thumbnail by Farmerdill
Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

My crazy husband says it ain't a watermelon unless it's red LOL What does he know anyways. I love that one. eat some for me. i'm thinkin of going out to pick one for tonight.

All this rain, i've noticed some powdery mildew on the squash plants. I wouldn't doubt it one bit.

kathy

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Hey Dill,

How did the Cream of Saskatchewan taste? (That's harder to spell than MIssissippi!). Have you ever had any luck with late crop watermelons? I'm in Houston, Zone 9, heat capital of the world.

Phil

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Actually Phil; It is very good. Very sweet and tender, similar to Yellow Doll. Most of the time late melons don't do too much here, but there are exceptions. I have had melons in October. Of course I am tired of them by then, and probably don't give them a fair shake. BUt to me the late melons like tomatoes give up a lot of flavor to the early ones.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.