New Pictures

Colorado Springs, CO(Zone 6a)

I always love looking at pictures on this forum, no matter what they are..so by extension I am assuming yall will want to look at mine, right??!! Lol, I spent all day with the fiance who gets "the glaze" whenever I mention plants...so I need to share!
This one's not open all the way, but it's taking too long and I'm getting impatient. :)

Thumbnail by art_n_garden

I do have a question about this one. I think I have decided it's getting too much light. All my AVs got a new home in a new window about a month ago. They have all started blooming, but the new growth is looking quite crowded which I recently read means too much light (news to me). What do you think?

Look how big the leaves are!!

Bored yet? I love how this one is opening. It's been so long since it opened that I forgot what it looked like! Lottie I think I sent this to you labeled as red, but it seems to be half red half white/pink. I'll post a pic when it's open all the way.

Last one, promise! This one makes me laugh, I accidently broke the crown off this winter when I was trying to pull off dead leaves. I just shoved it back in a new pot and now it's blooming great for me! A boring little violet colored one, this picture makes it look much more blue than it is. Hope I didn't bore you to death! Susanne

The Heart of Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

Wow! Those are great pics....mine are alwasy a little off...lol
I guess I would take bunched centers anyday over no blooms so be proud! lol

If they continue to bunch up you then can always add a sheer curtain to the window or shade them some how part of the day...maybe with one of those screens they make to shade babies in the backseat of cars???
I have no idea what they call them, but you can get them with little suction cups that stick on the windows.
Kinda like mini shade cloth...:)

The bloom on the pink one is beautiful! I can't wait til mine blooms too.

Thanks for the pics they are great!

MsC

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

That pink one with the girl foliage (first couple pics) is just stunning!! I don't think I've seen a standard AV before with that foliage... You can see how it responds to less light, but I think that girl foliage just tends to bunch up sometimes since it can get so ruffled. Those leaves in the center don't have that stunted look of ones getting way too much light, but maybe they're only getting a little more light than they'd like.

I'd also love to see a picture of the one I can barely glimpse in the upper left corner of the second photo... That variegated foliage looks absolutely beautiful!!

Please LMK if/when you'd like to trade leaves... and keep posting & sharing these great photos!

Thanks Ms.C and critter! Means a lot from my av heroes hehe :) That baby shade pull thing is a good idea- I never would have thought of that. I'm moved my shelf a little further away from the window. It used to be right in front of the North facing window, and now its half next to it and half in front of it. And there's also a big fatsia providing some shade/blocking for the two that are getting the most light.
I'm definitely not gonna change too much though, I love these blooms!

Crittero I'd love to trade with you. I just cut off some leaves for Ms C, so maybe in a few weeks? That'd be great! I even know how to pack them now, thanks to Ms.C!! :)

Here's the variegated one. It has some buds growing, but they aren't showing above the leaves yet. I'll post pictures when it blooms in the near future. Susanne

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

oooohhh! That foliage is so gorgeous, I almost don't even care if it ever blooms!

The first AV I had with such pretty, variegated leaves is an offspring from my MIL's plant... It finally bloomed this summer, and it turns out the flowers are really lovely too!

Thumbnail by critterologist

Ooh how pretty! I love the ruffly edges. Dainty little flower too.
Can you believe I bought it at Lowes?? I tried to root a leaf of this one, but like most variegated plants its playing hard to get, and died before it worked.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Yes, my one above has been difficult to propagate as well, but I think I finally have a plantlet started in one of my leaf pots. Probably it's better to trade plantlets than leaves of the variegated ones, but I'm willing to try anything. I'm pretty new to the variegated AVs, but I've heard that choosing a leaf with as much green as possible will increase your chance of success.

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

wow I love the variegated ones

(Zone 5b)

Beautiful! I never get tired of looking at these pictures.

The Heart of Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

Susanne,
That variegated one is just beautiful!! I can't wait for your bloom photos.

MsC

Olympia, WA(Zone 7b)

Great pics! I have almost exclusively minis and semi-minis, so I'm STUNNED at how big that leaf is! Naturally I assumed it was about the size of a quarter. :)

I'm excited about its blooms too! I'll definitely post when it happens.
Thank you Dana, these leaves really surprised me too!! The oldest leaves are a good 4-5inches. I think they might really like me! lol. It's funny how we make assumptions all the time about size context isn't it? I did that the other day on the coleus forum, thought it was a Benji-look a like and turns out it was a Yorkie!
Thanks again you all, I'll definitely keep you posted on blooms, and I'll be glad to trade/give the leaves in the near future!! Susanne

Here's that bloom fully opened.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.