My swan lake melon tastes Awful

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Here's a picture of another one, I picked the last one a week ago or so, no taste, no sweet, kind of like cucumber, or rather exactly like cucumber, but cucumber tastes better than this did.

Is it just not ready yet? Will it be this awful when it 's ready?

Also, here's a link to another post about another melon. If anybody can help, I'd appreciate it.

thanks

Kathy_ann

Thumbnail by kathy_ann
Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

no link...

is this from purchased seed?

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

These things are honey dew melons, My guess is you tried to eat a green one. Most honey dews don't slip, but they do undergo a color change. They also can take a month longer to ripen than a cantaloupe.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Sorry about the no link, that's happened before. the seed was given to me as swan lake in a trade. what does it mean when you say this farmerdill

Most honey dews don't slip

I'll go find that link and bring it back here.

kathy

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Try this

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/529380/

So Is there a sign I should go by to pick the so called honey dew? I really like honeydew, so if that's what it is, I'll be happy if it tastes better than the last one LOL, I do know I picked it too early cause it was hard hard ar ound the rind.

Sunnyvale, CA(Zone 9b)

kathy,

If I'm not mistaken, these are the melons I guy at at korean markets (only place I can find them) and they are all very very yellow and the indented parts are white. Your photo looks like the whole thing is fairly white so maybe they are not ripe yet?

Here, I found one photo on the internet
http://www.seedsofchange.com/garden_center/product_details.asp?item_no=PS15984

tmm

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I'll check out the photo, some of the melons are yellow and white, some aren't, I don't think any of th e swan lakes are ready yet, if it's like farmer dill says, itmight be another month.

Hey , Wow! just looked at the link, really does look like I have a ways to go yet. Thanks, i'll not worry about them till they look like the picture LOL.

kathy

Audubon, PA(Zone 6b)

Korean melon for SURE!!! Our local Korean Markets sell them.
LD

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Not sure of its origen. Mostly available from European companies and of course Seeds of Change. "Slip" American type cantaloupes turn loose of the vine when ripe. A few Honeydews also do this. Charatais and most honey dews hand on even when ripe and you have to observe the color changes. It is pretty subtle in a white honeydew, and you have to verify by pressing the blossom scar. When it begins ti give to pressure its ripe, You should have to worry about that with your Swan Lake, Its color change is obvious. That is an excellent photo, how about putting it in Plantfiles?
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/97723/index.html

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

which photo, the swan lake?

I'll do that. thanks for all the help guys

kathy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.