Scented Geranium Swap, Part 3 and counting...

Lomita, CA(Zone 10a)

Part two thread... http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/518115/
Part one thread... http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/512482/

This message was edited Jul 14, 2005 5:56 PM

Lomita, CA(Zone 10a)

A review of the swap...

If you have plants but do not know how to root them, cuttings can be sent to Critterologist by June 15 (see details below). If you have cuttings or plants to offer but would prefer other plants in trade, please post your wish list here and we will do our best to accommodate you. The swap will proceed as follows:

Number of participants? 10
Send all rooted SGs to me by the week of August 30 (I’m in the exchange), send all cuttings in need of rooting to Critterologoist by June 15. Let her know if you need instructions on how to send cuttings.
Use delivery confirmation for all shipments and post here when shipping.
All plants/cuttings should include a marker with plant name and DG name (one marker for every plant sent)
Every participant must send enough loose postage to cover return shipment (extra will be returned).
Every participant must send a return shipping label with plants.
Every participant should post list of what they are currently rooting (or sending to Critter) and keep us updated on how things are progressing and any problems encountered. Let’s work together for the success of the swap and the fun of it!
Each participant should post a final list of what is being sent (quantity and description) before shipment to me the week of August 30. Please also post your wish list. I will do all I can to accommodate everyone. Please remember, this is a swap and some cuttings or plants may not make it. It is my hope you will receive a one to one return on your investment, if not the exact list you desire, but many factors will decide this at a later date. In general, the more you send the more you will receive. Please… be gentle with me!
When all plants are received and inspected, I will post a final list of what everyone will be receiving and the date of shipment to participants (with delivery confirmation).
Every participant should post upon receiving plants.

Please post all questions, ideas or concerns here, so we may all benefit from the asking.

Barb

This message was edited Jul 14, 2005 5:53 PM

Lomita, CA(Zone 10a)

Participants:
1. BassetMom
2. Critterologist
3. Jjutz
4. bluespiral
5. Kathy_Ann
6. mysticwill
7. Julie64
8. TracyRae
9. sevensisters
10. princess?
11. Naien
12. GarityAnn

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

oh goodie, a fresh start LOL

thanks Barb

kathy

Southern, United States

I just started using superthrive this week. I've been looking anxiously for any differences. I haven't noticed any extreme changes, but time will tell. I took some more SG cuttings today, these should be my last before the swap. Would anyone be interested in any Flowering Maple (abutilon) rooted cuttings? It's a dwarf variety and the prettiest butter yellow. It is an everblooming perrienal and I would start working on cuttings if anyone was interested just lmk.

PS......barb thanks for the fresh thread, it was taking forever to load I was going to ask you to start a new one today!

Lomita, CA(Zone 10a)

Took a long time for me, too. I was all set to start fresh when Kathy said the same thing. I try to keep an eye on that, but it's one more thing to look for.

I will take another set of cuttings and hope for the best. All my plants seem to be doing well and have fresh limbs to offer up to the rooting gods...

Barb

(Zone 7a)

Not one peep of protest out of any cuttings taken last week, so far - I do think abstaining from plastic tenting while striking cuttings outside from plants that were already growing outside - altogether - are why I'm not seeing any dieback due to fungal issues. Plus, I put more Perlite into the Pro-Mix.

It's been hot and muggy with storms threatening all the time, and occasionally hurling lightening and thunder at my little ones. They're just sitting there saying, "Bring it on - but maybe not the heat mat?" I'ma gonna remember this in February.

Gresham, OR(Zone 8a)

Hi, All. I just wanted to let you know that although silent, I am still here. My cuttings are looking good, I'm glad to say! Some have grown quite a bit. I almost hesitate to say this, but I found a couple of SGs today, and picked them up: Celery, and Pretty Polly. It may be too close to the end of August to get good rootings, but if anyone is interested, I'd be happy to give it a shot. I also picked up some wonderful lavenders...a beautiful varigated one that I hadn't seen before...but we won't go there now, will we...? LOL

Tracy

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

ooohhhh, lavenders!!!

I figure I'll keep taking cuttings when I can, and I'll see what roots in time for the swap. My 'Attar of Roses' and 'Cocoa Mint Rose' plants will be the biggest, as they've started to put on some good growth, but I'll send along anything that I have with roots!

With all the recent rain & humidity, those cuttings I stuck outside in the pots with their mother plants are looking fine. However, I'm sad to report that my 'Southernwood' cuttings bit the dust with a mold problem... I'm glad I already mailed Barb the mother plant, and I hope it's doing well for her, as I think her wanting it is what got this whole ball rolling!

I got the 'Coconut' SG seeds from Kathy_ann -- THANK YOU for sharing them with the swap! -- and got them (mostly) de-chaffed last night. I'll let them dry a bit more before packaging them. She sent more than enough to go around, and I'll make an "extras" packet for Ellie!

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Glad to know there was enough. and they came safely.

kathy

Lomita, CA(Zone 10a)

Thanks, Critter!

I am waiting to stick new cuttings as I cannot venture out in this heat/humidity 100+ index. Had a seizure three days ago and am still recovering very slowly. I HATE not being able to talk!

Lavenders.... another favorite. I have several kinds and hope to propagate those as well... Let's see... mints, thymes, lavenders... hmmm...

Barb

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Oh, shoot, Barb! We were all hoping you were feeling better and seizure free! Dang! You're in my thoughts & prayers, and I hope you'll be doing much better very soon!

I hope the weather gives us all a break. My young friends down the street want to go pick blueberries, but between the heat & humidity and the evening storms we've been having, I'm not sure that's going to happen tonight!

There were some seeds that didn't want to have their brown covering rubbed off, so I figured those may not be mature. I'll include them in the packs, but won't count them. I think I'm going to assume everyone will want a pack. Looks like we have enough for 12 packs of about 25 seeds, plus an extra big pack for Ellie! DH has been warned not to so much as breathe on the dish where the seeds are drying... I have about a dozen seed dishes on the dining room table at present, so it's a good thing we're not expecting company soon!

Lomita, CA(Zone 10a)

LOL! My DH is trying not to be exasperated by all the stuff laying around drying. Rose petals, patchouli leaves, other herbs hanging about the place, everywhere he looks I've got something started, growing, drying, etc. Guess he's wondering about now if that greenhouse was such a good idea.

Thanks for your kind thoughts, Critter. Seizure-free would be a nice change. When I haven't had one, I'm always wondering when I will... And, they get more and more difficult to recover from. Even when I appear to be speaking normally to others, I know just how much work it is for me to think of words. Writing recovers faster, so here I am...

Barb

Gresham, OR(Zone 8a)

Oh, Barb. I don't know what that must be like. Please know that I think of you often, and pray for you and your family.

Critter: Please give yourself a {{{{{hug}}}} for all the tedious work of separating seed for all of us!

kathy_ann: xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo! Thank you so much for being willing to share! I am looking forward to trying my hand at starting these from seed! You are awesome!

Later, all...

Tracy

oiartzun-near san se, Spain(Zone 8a)

Barb, You are in my thoughts. I've sent a special 'prayer' your way; non religious, just love and positive energy.
Kathy ann and critterologist- thanks for doing the seeds.
Maggi xxxxo

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

no problem here, critter's doing most of the work LOL

kathy

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Hey, and you should see the cute little packets I printed up for them! :-)

I'm also pleased to note that my own 'Coconut' geranium seems to finally be setting some seeds... and now I know how to deal with them! I'm hoping I may get some seeds from the others too, but none of them are doing much blooming in this heat.

Sorgina, I didn't forget you -- I divided the seed into 13 packets, plus a 14th one for Ellie. I'm just starting to harvest some other seeds, so I figured I'd see what else I could send you with the 'Coconut' SG seeds... but if you'd rather just have the SG seeds ASAP, just LMK.

Lomita, CA(Zone 10a)

Thanks for all your kind wishes. Today is very, very, very bad. Heat plus 15 church ladies gabbing at me for two hours. (Critter got the brunt of that venting earlier...). On the upside, it rained again so no watering again today. At least the tomatoes are happy!

Barb

Critter, I'm very happy to wait for the seeds until others are ready. (There may be others?- whoopee!) I have lots of freshly- harvested coriander seeds here- would you like some? Barb, would some of these seeds be any good for Ellie's seeds? LMK-I have lots. Also have lots of velvety- purple petunia seeds from the neighbours' plants, which I'm looking after while they're away.I'd be happy to send these if they'd be useful.
Maggi xxxx

Victorville, CA

Hi all-
Sorry to hear you are having a difficult time Barb. "Difficult" doesn't seem adequate enough. Sending prayers your way for helpful, easing up of the seizures and less intensity of them. You have more strength than most people have. I sent you an envelope, I hope it got there ok. I had my Mom take it to the p. o., but the last time I had her mail something out for me it was returned because she didn't put enough postage. If you didn't get it, that's probably what happened again and I'll wait for it to return.
I had started two cuttings from the nutmeg sg but I did them in the large ziplock baggies and when you all said about the humidity thing I unzipped them, they are still alive but don't look too good at this point. I'm gonna start some more cuz the main bush is doing great but not in a ziplock this time to see the difference. I used a rooting hormone called Rootone.
-Juli

Lomita, CA(Zone 10a)

No envelope yet, Julie, but the mail has been funkier than my brain.

Yet another seizure this week. My garden is suffering as much as I am. Going to cross fingers and toes on this next set of cuttings (well, fingers anyway). Lost several new SGs to the weather, while others are getting huge. Go figure!

Barb

Victorville, CA

It hasn't come back to me yet either. I sent in it the original lavendar lemonade recipe too.
Those nutmeg cuttings bit the dust so I'll start 2 more tomorrow.
-Juli

Gresham, OR(Zone 8a)

Prayers for you, Barb. I'm always concerned when we don't hear from you...

Yes, thinking of you here in Spain too Barb. I wish the weather would get cooler and drier for you.
Love from Maggi xxxxo

Lomita, CA(Zone 10a)

Hi! Ever hear of sweatin' to the oldies? Well, that's me! 100+ here for the last few days. Me and Cole Porter keeping cool in the A/C!

Everything here is drooping, even when it gets watered. The T-storms do little to refresh anything... heat, humidity or dry soil. Today saw a break... only in the 80's and lower humidity. Gave everything a good drink and a few snips. My mint is flowering madly and I HAVE to get to that. New cuttings are holding their own as they were moved to a shadier locale just before this latest heat wave. Now, to pot up all my coleus cuttings that are too big for their britches!

Barb

Gresham, OR(Zone 8a)

Welcome back! We missed you!

We have had 90+ temps for the last few days, and it sure takes it's toll. I took my 9 year old daughter, and my 7 year old grandson on a 4 day vacation to the beach, and came back to a few casualties. sniff! None of the scenteds, tho. Glad to be back so I can look after my kids...the garden kind!

Tracy

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Here are the cuttings that were recently up-potted & put outside... some had better roots than others, and a couple had only calluses & no roots yet, but they all seem to be holding their own.

Thumbnail by critterologist
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

And here are the 'Attar of Roses' and 'Cocoa Mint Rose' cuttings that were the first to root & be potted up. They've become nice little plants! Looks like they need pinching back again, in fact.

Some of the latest round of cuttings that I stuck into the pots with the mother plants are still looking pretty good, too.

Just figured it was time for a progress report... I keep mentioning the cuttings that have failed, so I figured I'd better post pictures to prove I'll have some good ones to send out!

Thumbnail by critterologist
Lomita, CA(Zone 10a)

Sorry off-line so much... very bad seizures for days in a row, all over several weeks. Miss you all very much...

Barb

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Gosh Barb, You sure are having a rough time of it, I hope things get better for you soon. Wish there was something I could do to brighten your day.

All my cuttings seem to be doing well, their all big enough to take cuttings off of again LOL. Do we have a shipping date yet? end of august? just checking, I know it's still early yet

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I think it might brighten Barb's day to know nobody's going to be too upset if she needs to move the ship date back a little... The heat has really been horrible for her this summer, and waiting until cooler weather might let her do this swap the way she'd like. I think our plan is for Karen (bluespiral) and Heather (mysticwill) and hopefully also me to head up to her place for a sort of mini-RU and packing party. I've got her back, of course, but I'm hoping she'll be able to host, even if it's a couple of weeks later than planned. I figure my role is not unlike that of first runner up in the Miss America Pagaent: "If, for any reason, Miss America is unable..."

Judy, when is your average date of first frost up there in MI? Although I think we'll conclude well before then, I figure that's our absolute deadline, as we want to be sure everyone's plants arrive in as good condition as possible.

Edited to add... Barb, of course we are all hoping that you will be up and about again so soon that this entire discussion of deadlines will become moot! I just didn't want you to fret about the swap when you should be concentrating on regaining your strength. ((((( Barb )))))

This message was edited Aug 13, 2005 12:51 AM

This message was edited Aug 13, 2005 12:52 AM

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Well, I for one, have no problems what so ever to what ever date you may change the swap to. Even if these get too big, I'll have plenty of time to root more, but I don't think they'll get too big for packing LOL.

Don't worry about it Barb, You just take care of yourself, it's l01 degrees here, and nothing likes to travel in this kind of heat anyways.

Hope your having a better day today.

Critter, I sure hope things are going your way also, been watching your thread. I guess, this is the time where patience is a virtue right !!

kathy

Barb, so sorry to hear you've been feeling so bad these days. I've had a few 'off' days too-must be the heat and humidity. Really hoping you have lots of seizure-free days now.
Maggi xxxx

Gresham, OR(Zone 8a)

I am open to moving the date...it has been 90+ here, and I agree with Kathy, that nothing likes to travel in this heat...and that includes me!

Tracy

Muskegon, MI(Zone 5a)

Well, Ive finally found the new thread..I was wondering why I wasnt getting any mail from you guys..I just emailed Karen and told her I was going to hunt you guys down...I dont think Ive seen any mail from here since I got back from vacation and that was in June...
Barb, Im so sorry to hear about all the health problems..please dont worry about us guys..we will get the scenteds out when you are feeling better..no trouble on this end if everybody wants to change the sending in date...
The weather here has changed abit that we can sleep at night...it gets humid during the day but not like it was...I still sweat going out and working in the garden but its nothing like the hellish days of just sitting there staring at the walls just trying to breathe.....
Im so glad to see mail from you guys again....Judy

Victorville, CA

My first round of cuttings took a poop. So I've started three more in pots with rootone and no baggies on them and one just in water. They haven't died yet so I don't know yet if I'm still in this thing or not. I have no problem with extending the date on shipping. Sorry to hear you're having a rough time right now Barb. Helpful, healing prayers are coming your way to ease up on the seizures.
-Juli

Southern, United States

My first round of cuttings didn't make it either. I started some more last night so I wouldn't mind waiting either. I did take a bunch of basil cuttings and they are doing really well, so if there is still interest in those I'm still in. Otherwise I'll wait for the next one :) Barb, take your time recuperating, it seems like none of us are in a hurry. Hope you're feeling better soon! Fran

(Zone 7a)

Barb, I didn't look at this thread today before mailing your and Judy's plants to you. I am so sorry to hear about those seizures of yours and very much hope I haven't caused you any problems - I want you to concentrate on taking care of yourself. Setting back the date of the swap is fine by me, too.

As of now, I have mailed everyone's plants with whom I effected a swap - so following are the lists of what I sent whom and what my preferences are - y'all don't worry about any timeline with me - you'll send me plants when you send them - or not - I just wanted to finalize my end of things.

I am very sorry to have to say this, but I can't travel a distance as long as from Barb's house to mine and back - a recent trip aggravated some spinal problems and I can't risk another setback like that - cannot afford any more doctors right now. I didn't realize how bad things had gotten. I feel terrible about backing out of visiting Barb. I can do a lot of things in moderation, but sitting in a car for 5 or 6 hours right now isn't doable.

Sorgina and everyone, have been collecting seeds - who wants fresh tree peony seed? Will email my list another time - it's after midnight and am not hitting that sack until I at least post about the plants I sent today. Sorgina, have planted those seeds - thank you - loved your letter - hope you will be able to read the ghastly handwriting in my reply.

Mystic - is there anything else I can send you in trade, because I don’t think the Peacock SG I sent you today is gonna make it. I hope you’ll look at what I have and ask in case there’s something else you’d like that I don’t mention here.

Here's that list -

Barb,

Today, I sent you 2 flat-rate boxes of plants, and I only hope to see one box returned. Some are marked for Jutz (see list below) and the rest are for you. Sent 8/24/05 are:

African Violet -
(1) ‘Ruffled Sheer Romance’

(1) Evolvulus

(1) Impatiens double white

(2) Jasminum grandiflorum (fragrant, summer, plant to come up through a host woody plant or sheltered from winter winds against an outbuilding)

(1) Mint, Corsican

(1) Persicaria ‘Red Dragon”

(1) Plectranthus coleoides

SGs -
(1) Gray Lady Plymouth (could be Rose) plus 5 cuttings of same
Cocoa Mint - 2 cuttings

(1) Thunbergia alata ‘Raspberry Smoothie’

Thymes -
(1) T. argenteus (silvery thyme)
(2) English creeping
(1) T. lanuginosa
(1) lemon, plain green leaf
(1) T. ‘Yellow Transparent’
(1) T. vulgaris

(1) Torenia, white creeping

(1) Verbena, lemon

(On 6/16/05, I also sent you aster ‘Purple Dome’ and Aquilegia ‘Black Barlow’.)

Hope to acquire:

Dr. Livingston
Lime

Feel free to surprise me with any SGs not promised by Kathy or Jill.

-----------------------------------

Jill - we already swapped car loads and I hope to swap another as soon as possible, because only one Brazilian sage rooted cutting has survived - not counting the plants in the wrong place looking for a home that we discussed, following are what I have rooted for you -

(1) Impatiens double white

(2) Jasminum grandiflorum (fragrant, summer, plant to come up through a host woody plant or sheltered from winter winds against an outbuilding)

(1) Mint, Corsican

(1) Brazilian sage ‘Black and Blue’

(1) Thunbergia alata ‘Raspberry Smoothie’

(1) Torenia, white creeping

(1) tropical waterlily ‘Daubeana’

You’ve already given me SGs ‘Cocoa Mint’ and ‘Attar of Roses

Are ‘Crowfoot’ and Cody’s Nutmeg’ still possible?

-------------------------------------
Mystic,

That poor SG ‘Peacock’ I sent you today was in such bad shape. If you’ll let me talk you into another plant or few, I”d love to have SGs ‘Prince Rupert’, ‘Lime’ and ‘Nutmeg’ - in that order of preference. If not, maybe we’ll have a chance to trade again in the future.
----------------------------------------------

Juttz,

Last June, we agreed to trade my Geranium maccrorizums and a SG ‘Fringed Apple’ (which I sent in June) for a brug versi peach or pink. Today, I sent you (via Barb) the following:

(1 at least, possibly 2) African violet - dwarf, cream/green/pink leaf

Thymes -
(1) T. argenteus (silvery thyme)
(1) lemon gold variegated
(1) T. lanuginosa
(1) lemon, plain green leaf
(1) T. vulgaris
(1) T. ‘Yellow Transparent’

When we last Dmailed, you mentioned you were having difficulty rooting SGs , as have I. Soooo, don’t worry about the SGs - what I reallyreally hope to see is a brug. If not, don’t worry about it - it’s been fun getting to know you.
------------------------------------

Kathy Ann,

So far, I have sent you –

(2) Lilium ‘Black Beauty’
(1) Japanese iris ‘Nara’
(1 or wuz it 2?) Geranium maccrorhizum ‘Will Ingerwersen’
(1) G. ‘Brookside’
(1) G. ‘John Elsley’ - very long bloomer in my garden

I really appreciate your generosity in helping us out with this swap - why the tulip warranted such a mania rather than the scented geranium, I will never know.

If all goes well, you might send me SGs -

Chocolate Mint
Snowflake Rose
Apricot
Fancy Leaf Platinum
Orange

Is it too late to substitute something else for Gray Lady Plymouth? If not, let’s let Barb have this one for her fund drive.
----------------------------------

I did try to involve other SG swappers - don’t remember who said what or didn’t say what right now - have not intentionally left anyone out.

Barb, sending you hope that you will feel better once this heat/humidity lift.

Best to you all, Karen

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

HI Karen, Just a quick glance here, have to run my daughter to school. I can swap the grey lady plymoth for something else no problem there, will send you a list, and girl I have some brugmansias coming out the ears. will be glad to include a couple for you. I'll send you a p.m. later on today ok.

take care

kathy

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I'm concerned that we haven't heard from Barb in nearly 2 weeks. I hope she is getting some of the cooler weather we've been enjoying here, as that may speed her recovery. She's in my prayers each day.

If necessary, I can host in her stead, but if we want a September date, I'd need to receive plants by September 17 so I can ship them the following week. After that, I'm going on vacation, and I won't be available again to ship & receive until the week of October 17. I know some folks are starting over again with the cuttings, while others have established plants to send, so opinions may vary on which date would work better. If we don't hear from Barb by the end of the month, we'll take a poll and figure out where to go from here.

Alternately, if it turns out Barb is not able to do it, we could start a new thread and arrange some individual trades if we decide that would work out better. We can always try the swap again, maybe starting the ball rolling in early spring so there's plenty of time to root & ship cuttings before it gets hot.

Also, if I end up hosting, I'll do my best to sort out plants marked for a particular person, but please remember that this was inteneded to be a SWAP where everyone sends in plants and submits a wish list of what they'd like from the pool of choices..... It will take me weeks to sort it out if it turns into such a complicated series of individual trades! Please don't do that to Barb, either. It may seem simple enough to arrange 3 or 4 such trades with the plants you send in, but when you multiply that by 10 people, it's a tangle. If you're sending non-SGs that specific people want, mark those with that person's name, and they can put the plants on their wish list as something they're willing to swap SGs for.... So somebody sending 15 SGs and wanting 6 other plants that people have agreed to send would hopefully get those 6 plants plus 9 SGs from the swap pool. At least, that's the way I see it working.

Karen, I'll send you Dmail.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.