Moving a peony - Zone 4b

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Greetings,

I have decided to move a peony to make a small garden dedicated to small Hostas. Will, most likely, give it to my daughter who now has a fence around her new house. I'm not sure of the best time to make such a move - will mid-August be late enough or do I need to wait until September in order to best ensure bloom next year? It's been a long time since I've moved one.

Ann in Ottawa

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Here in 7a, even up to 5a, the guy on radio says the DAY to transplant is Oct. 15th. Maybe you could push it to Sept. 15th but unless someone knows from experience I wouldn't chance it before then.

I'm the one who didn't know about Ralph Snodsmith on radio, back when we moved here, and moved mine June 19th! That was 14 years ago and it's done fine.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

I once moved one in the spring. Big mistake. It didn't die, but it didn't forgive me for several years. I try to be a bit more cautious. But up here, you wouldn't find many in garden centres in the middle of October. I expect that if I wait until September it will have set its buds for next year and should move fairly well.

BTW, where is Southold? I grew up in New York State, but don't know that name.

Ann

West Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Hi Ann,

I am in a similar zone and plant at least one new bareroot peony every fall in Sept or early Oct. I use a 3ft freshly dug and enhanced (compost and bonemeal) planting hole - setting the eyes 2in below the soil level. Works every time! I would definitely avoid moving it in Aug...still warm - it will appreciate the cooler move that fall offers.

Good Luck!

Ithaca, NY(Zone 5b)

Two years ago during a very wet year, I had to move a peony mid summer because it had developed botrytis and the area where it was kept flooding.

Thinking it would die anyway, I unceremoniously cut all the stems off, dug it up and plopped it into a pot for a couple of weeks. To my amazement, in the dryer environment it started coming back and looking healthy so I immediately planted it in another spot (far away from the other peonies, just in case...). Just make sure that you don't plant it too deeply -- the crown should not be more than 1 or 1-1/2" below the soil, and since this is a dry year, make sure to water it well the rest of the summer. I hope this helps!

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Thanks. Don't really need to move it until September; so I think I'll let it sit till then. That should give me plenty of time to prepare the new bed for little hostas. ;-)

Ann

Claremore, OK(Zone 6a)

Hello everyone. I'm new to DG, just signed up yesterday. My eyes are getting red and sore from all the reading I've been doing ever since LOL, can't seem to get enough of all this wonderful information, not only about peonies,.......................but EVERYTHING. Guess I'll have to learn to pace myself, no one can take in all of DG in a day !!! LOL

About peonies. My daughter has a beautiful bush of them growing in the yard of a rental house she and her young hubby rented. The landlord says it's ok for me to divide them and take about half of the plant, but I don't really know that much about them, when to do it, how to do it, and where to plant them in my yard or about ammending the soil for them.

Can someone please help me ? They are so beautiful, I hate to pass up this opportunity, as I've noticed they are not cheap in the plant catalogs.

thanks PeggieK

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Hi PeggieK,

Welcome to DG. It's easy to get addicted. I've taken to switching the computer OFF when I've spent more time than I should.

Re the peonies, I've moved them, but it's been a long time. I know that you want to move them after they've set their buds for the next year which means late in the season. Also, don't plant them too deep or they won't flower. Also, they often die back in the middle; so that part should be discarded if it applies. Other than that, maybe a search of DG or start of new thread asking just how to move them. The reason for the new thread is that you can make the subject appropriate to just what you need to know. I've also done general Google searches on "dividing xxxxx" and found quite a bit of information. Good luck.

Ann

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.