Variegated Pittosporum bailing out on me. Help!

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

This is the 2nd year I am having problems with this 10+ year old shrub. I used to have 2 but lost one to the same problems. I have managed to keep the remaining one by spraying it biweekly w/ Neem but this year it doesn't seem to be helping much. Any comments will be greatly appreciated. It is a huge srub and will leave a big gap in my landscape if I lose it.

There is a big hole at the base of the shrub, and we think we've had an armadillo (possibly even a nest) at times.

Thumbnail by vossner

another pix

Thumbnail by vossner

last one.

Thumbnail by vossner
Woodville, TX(Zone 8a)

Vossner, we had the same problems with the fungus stuff. I have used all kinds of fungicide and oil over the past 3 years and am totally sick of it.
Solution for me: tractor with a chain attached and pulled the suckers out by the roots. I replanted with hydrangeas.
Evidently we have too much humidity. In any case the problems were too much for me so away they went. Jenny

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Vossner, I am sorry to say that I had the same problem with mine and after years of struggling with them, I removed them. I trimmed them down as far as I could, cut the large roots with a very large pruner intended to be usde on large branches, pulled up the base and then dug as many roots out as I could. I wish that I could offer you a simple solution to the problem that would save your plant; but, I gave up like Jenny did.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.