Blue/white walking iris babies Look!

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Look at all the babies hanging on stems/leaves, what ever they are. Everywhere there is a baby use to be a flower. I didn't know they did this. Their also multipliying in the pot too. There are no little root nodules on the baby iris's yet, should I wait till they get nodules on them before I break them off the leaf/stem and plant them in soil?

kathy_ann

Thumbnail by kathy_ann
Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

I've never seen this plant before - what color are the flowers?

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Blue and white Sorry I have no picture of them

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

alot like the blue /white one here on this link.

weird how they produced the baby iris's where the blooms use to be.

anybody ever heard of them doing that?

http://images.google.com/images?q=walking+iris&hl=en

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Kathy_Ann

I love the idea and the picture. Thanks for the knowledge!!

Judy

Centerville, UT(Zone 6a)

The propagation forum might be a good place to re-ask your question. I wonder--if you placed a pot with soil in it so that the base of a baby would rest in on top of, or slightly buried in the soil, whether any root production would be stimulated by the moisture/soil contact while maintaining support from the mother plant. This is just a guess, but it might be fun to experiment with.

This message was edited Jul 16, 2005 11:00 AM

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Thanks Jolene, I was going to get some styro cups and fill with soil and set by each one leave them attached to the main stem and see if they'd root for me.

kathy

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

kathy_ann~

My mother-in-law has this kind of plant. What she does is snip off the baby and put the bottom of it in a glass of water until white roots start to shoot out. Then, she plants them in small pots. They get big in no time! Hope this helps.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Well, Isn't this just the strangest thing though, I've never seen a plant do this, do all walking iris's do this? I got this plant in searcy a lady who hybridizes had these in little cups, and that's how it started off several years ago. Now it's huge and putting off babies of it's own. It didn't have very many blooms, but everywhere there's a leaf hanging down with a baby plant on it, was a bloom at one time. and the blooms hang down too. I have to keep it up off the ground or the blooms don't get seen.

kathy_ann

Chapin, SC(Zone 7b)

Kathy,

I've had these for several years and they all do that I think. In fact, I believe they are called "walking" iris because they put out the babies which will form little roots (ariel, sp?) and when the babies touch the ground they root and the plant "walks" on over. I had one in a large round planter and after a while it looked like a fountain with all of the babies hanging around it. Great for sharing. You can snip the babies off whenever they have a little size to them.

Have fun and congratulations.

Chops

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

thanks chops.

kathy

Fayetteville, NC(Zone 8a)

Very cool plant. Want to sell or trade some of your babies? Is it a houseplant or outside--or both?

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

It is ahouse plant sort of, It can't survive the winters , has to go into the grenhouse.

sending you email

Sand Springs, OK(Zone 7a)

it like spider plant there is a yellow one but hard to find ?

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Yes, I thought this was yellow at first. But it's not. was dissapointed. Figured I could live without the yellow ones since I have so many blue and white That I don't need. LOL

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

I have several babies that I would love to trade. It is the blue and white. I have never seen the yellow.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Picabo, You might get better results and more trades by starting a new post. saying you have blue/white walking iris babies for trade. Or posting in the plant trading forum. Folks won't be coming here to my post to look for trades but rather to answer my questions.

I certainly don't mind you posting that here though. Just wanted to get you more trades than what you'd get here.

Just a thought. Is'n't it strange how they make their babies. This is my first year with the walking iris, and to have them do this. I know a lady in searcy close to where I live that has the yellow ones. I think.

kathy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.