Calico Flower (Aristolochia gigantea)

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

I have been blessed with tons of blooms on this profilic vine this year. I am so glad that it surived the snow and frost of the past winter and never did I expect it to recover so quickly or to be so full of flowers as it is this year. I know it's had a hundred or more on it already. But it gets better, I then discovered a real surprise, a seed pod. Oh to have it all is just the BEST.......
I thought yall would like to see it......

Dee

Thumbnail by WillowWasp
Westmoreland, TN(Zone 7a)

it is so pretty Dee.
I want on the list if you decide to trade some.
Thanks for sharing it with us!
:}
RH

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Wonderful! Congratulations!!

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Huge blooms! Yeah, Dee.
:) Donna

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

Pretty! I never grow them before.. I am going to try next spring.. searching for the seeds...

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

That is great.
I have one and it is a very healthy vine but I have never had any flowers, do you feed it any fert. to make it bloom.

Doris

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

I hope to have some seed to trade later.

Doris, this vine didn't start to bloom really good until the second year it was going, first year I may have had 2 blooms all year. I had wondered if it was gonna be worth the trouble and care if that was all I was gonna get from it..............LOL..........little did I know...........WOW this has really surpassed my expectations, and it is my husbands favorite. I have it in a big 5 gallon pot and it is constantly blooming now. It kinda goes in flushes and will be covered with blooms and then nothing for a few weeks. I fertilize it monthly and use the same fertilizer I use on my Brugs...........
Hope that helps

Dee

Thumbnail by WillowWasp
Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

This is my vine, very healthy, but not a sign of a bloom. and I do use MG. fert.

Thumbnail by kareoke
Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

Wow Doris it looks really good and it should start blooming for you. How long have you had it? The first year I had mine I think all it did was grow and put on leaves so I think it will start any time now. The fertilizer I use is Peters I have better results with it than with Mirical Grow....
Keep us informed on how it is doing...
Do you put it outside?
Mine stays outside and I covered it and a Thurmbergia with straw during the snow and freeze. It stayed under that cover until the end of Feb. when I uncovered it and set it back up. It look pretty petiful and I didn't know if it was going to make it or not, I am so glad it did.
At least I feel like it is somewhat hardy....'

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

I can't find Peters around here, I got the plant early last year, they told me it was at the blooming stage. I haven't put it outside it is in my plant room, the winters here would surely kill it.

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

Yes I agree the winter you have there would kill it for sure. We just had a freak storm that lasted a few days and it was all over. But I know had it been freezing everynight it would not have made it.
If you can only get Mircle Grow then that will probably be alright just start to fertilize it and when it gets warm enough put it on the patio or somewhere it will get more sun.

Let us know what happens.

Dee

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.