Japanese Spiraea Shibori

Springboro, OH

Anyone have any experience with this shrub? I'm thinking of planting a couple of them in front of my porch along with a couple of boxwoods. I'm unsure really about how much sun they will receive. Right now I have a huge pear tree that pretty much hides the front of my house which faces East. I'm having it removed in a few weeks. Anyways, I'm just trying to throw a plan together for an overhaul once this tree is out. A second consideration might be Virginia Sweetspire, if I end up not having enough sun. Any opinions on that one?

I guess I really can't make any definite decisions until I found out exactly what sun I have when this tree comes out, just trying to get some ideas in advance. Thanks!

P.S. Both of these shrubs are listed in PlantFiles, but I'm not sure how to add a link. Thanks again!

Oakland, CA(Zone 9b)

I haven't been terribly impressed with the Spirea. It's a weedy sort of plant, and if it weren't propped up by growing through a beautiful Artemisia 'Powis Castle' beside it, I'd yank it. It definitely needs full sun. I was surprised that it's not a very good cut flower, either.

Dearborn, MI(Zone 5b)

I like this plant, and grow it along the west side of the house where it is shaded until midday. It is basically carefree and pest free. The only problem is that is grows larger than advertised (about 36" wide and tall). I've tried various ways of pruning it over the years. The one that seems to work best is to let it flower, and when most of the flowers are finished in mid-August (it blooms heavily for more than a month), cut it back halfway. Sounds brutal, but it regrows quickly and often blooms again, though less abundantly. I then leave it standing through the winter, and it grows back from the existing twigs and we start the cycle again. I've had these bushes (three of them) for about ten years, and they've been very reliable.

Springboro, OH

Thank you for your responses. I think I may change my mind about using this shrub for this particular area, as I'm really looking for a smaller compact shrub. I may try it elsewhere though. After more searching in the PlantFiles, I found this... Polyantha Rose 'Marie Pavié', it may be worth asking about in the roses forum.

Jen

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

I love my MArie Pavié. Fragrant and lovely blooms. It's also on the small side.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.