Ladybugs and nematodes

Denver, CO(Zone 6a)

Last month I ordered and used ladybugs for an aphid problem and nematodes for a grub problem and have to say I was very satisfied with both. I ordered them from Bugological Control Systems and everything came fast and alive. It was kind of weird having ladybugs in my refrigerator for a week (using some each day) but I am still finding ladybugs in my garden!

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

I need those ladybugs!! The aphids are taking over my milkweed. I know they are naturally attracted to it, but it's a losing battle now. I went out today (not the first time!) and spent at least 2 HRS spraying the aphids with soapy water/orange oil/alcohol spray then went back and sprayed the hopefully dead aphids and spray off the plant. They were back by the evening!!

I asked at a local feed store last weekend about ladybugs, and the guy there told me that I could only get them in the spring. He said they came from California and something about that being the reason. ?? I've meant to ask about that all week and look up info. Thanks for the info. I'm going to see about ordering some.

Denver, CO(Zone 6a)

The place I ordered them from is here
https://www.buglogical.com/catalog.asp?action=showCatalog&typeNumber=12§ionNumber=25

The shipping is high because they NEED to be at your place in 2 days but I am still finding lady bugs and my bush is coming out of being damaged by aphids.

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

Wow, that shipping is high... I think I'll see if I can find a place closer, but if not I'm definitely ordering some!

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Just an FYI...aphids can be easily taken care of often-times by water sprays. You'll need to do this a couple times. If you have heavy infestations then go for the soap sprays (much cheaper than buying lady bugs).

Also, look for ants in your garden; they tend to "farm" aphids, even to the point of taking them down into their underground homes and keeping them over the winter. The ants tend to milk the honeydew the aphid secret.

Also, remember, adult ladybugs will eat certain bugs BUT it is the larvae form that will readily out-eat the adults and those are where the most benefit comes from.

Mobi, now that you have established ladybugs it is important to make sure the environment is a safe one for them. Do everything you can to make their new home a place they will want to live. This means don't try to eradicate their food source (in your case aphids)...if there is no food for them they'll move on. 'Tis best to maintain a good balance of "good" and "bad" bugs in your garden.

This message was edited Jul 19, 2005 12:11 PM

Denver, CO(Zone 6a)

good advice. I decided to go with ladybugs because I wasn't spraying my bush with water and the aphids took a toll on my viburnum. I don't spray the bush down so there is some food for the critters.

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

Horseshoe, thanks so much for the advice, but I've done all that. I have sprayed and sprayed with water. Then I resorted to orange oil and water but that didn't work. Sprayed water more. Then I sprayed them with orange oil, soap, and vegetable oil in water. Came back behind them and washed them and that off with water. They came back. So yesterday for 2+ hrs I sprayed with the orange oil/soap/veg oil and water AND put rubbing alcohol in it. I sprayed the aphids, then came back behind and sprayed them all off with water. TWO HOURS! They were back that evening, no in full but plenty. Today I didn't look at them.

I have ants, but there's no way to get rid of them. See my post called "Exactly how do you get rid of ants that harvest?" http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/527412/

And today I actually read one of the sites that sells ladybugs that the larvae eat something like 50+ a day, but the adult ladybug eats 5000!

I have hoverfly larvae that try to eat them but they just don't eat fast enough. I found a local nursery that does have them, 1500 for $9. I think I'll try one batch first and make sure they hang around.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Wowzers...you must really have a gazillion aphids, konkrete! And very determined ones at that! Maybe using Neem oil will help if all the other solutions aren't working? (Sounds like you have perfect grounds for experimenting! We can all benefit from that one day, eh?)

I'd be interested in reading the info at the site you mentioned that sold ladybugs. The "feeding rate" they mention seems to contradict other rates given elsewhere. All in all though, as long as they are devouring some of your aphids it should be helpful (and you definitely have a buffet table waiting for them!). :>)

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

I do have gazillions of them! :(( I do have Neem but haven't used it yet. It's so hot here and it says to not use over a certain temperature. I might watch this evening and see if it cools down enough. I wonder what type of risidual effect Neem has? I don't want to use it, then get my ladybugs and it hurt them.

Duh, after searching, I finally found that page where I read about ladybugs. It's the link that Mobi gave above. Maybe I'm reading it wrong. Guess I better go out and see if they are still here.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Okay, thanks! I think you are reading it right...it's somewhat confusing though. Looks to me like the adults will out-eat the larvae due to the fact that the adults live as adults much longer than when they are in the larva stage. (Larvae live roughly 20 to 30 days before pupating; Adults live from 3 months to a year if conditions are right.) (Pretty impressive, I say!)

I found a report from Cornell Univ that has some great info.
http://www.nysaes.cornell.edu/ent/biocontrol/predators/ladybintro.html

Denver, CO(Zone 6a)

I have no idea if that site is correct or not so..... but they did have a good product.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

No worries, Mobi...Ladybugs are a good product no matter what, eh?

I'm sure you'll benefit from them.

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

Mobi, I've been wondering if your ladybugs stayed around. Mine left the next day! I had about 5 and then I've probably seen 3 since. :(

Denver, CO(Zone 6a)

I still see mine off and on. I guess I still have dinner in my yard

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

Lucky you! I had plenty of food to feed them all for ever and they still flew off. Bummer.

Millbury, MA(Zone 5a)

I know that it won't help at this point, but have you considered planting Nasturtiums so that the aphids will be attracted to them instead? I have them growing in my vegetable garden for that reason, plus I like their colors and scent and the fact that the leaves and flowers can be used in salads, etc. I usually don't have a big problem with aphids on my veggies. (On the other hand, the Nasturtiums DO have a tendency to vine all over the place if you don't aggresively cut them back. I actually haven't planted any in years as they happily re-seed despite my tilling the area once or twice a year.)

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

I don't know that anything would distract the aphids since the milkweed naturally attracts them, possibly like the Nasturtiums. It would be great if something else would attract them, but I'd be afraid I'd just have double the aphids! I have seen a few more ladybugs this week and a lot more Hover fly larvae. Some of my plants are spindly and weak tho but hopefully they can keep holding out.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.