Steer Manure

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Hi,

I have an old bag of steer manure that I want to use up. Any suggestions on how to use it? It is from ages ago and has been taking up space ever since. Can I mix it in with the soil and spread it like mulch, or is it too strong for tender plants? Please advise. I have heard that this can burn plants and don't want that to happen.

Thanks a bunch! Christina :~)

Thumbnail by cnswift

If it's fully composted then it can be used either way. It's the fresh stuff that tends to burn plants.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Excellent! Thanks very much. I guess it's pretty obvious that I'm new to this. Boy will I be happy to have this out of my shed and off the floor! Hopefully some plants will be happy with some new 'doo'.

Have a great day and thanks for the response!

I'm sure the plants will love it!

Thanks and you too :)

Forestville, CA(Zone 9a)

Bagged steer manure you purchase from a garden center has very little fertlizer value, but is an excellent soil conditioner. You can spread it around up to 2 inches deep . It will not harm your plants.
George

Buffalo, NY(Zone 5a)

The funny thing is the name " steer" manure, steer or bull, heifer or cow, its all cattle poo.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Ok, I got this into a few of my beds and mixed it with the top inch or so of soil. I hope it does some good. One of the beds has a sad looking wisteria, so maybe she'll like the 'cattle poo' treat! The funny thing was that it didn't smell at all, I wonder if it was too old to be of any good? I seriously have had this bag around for at least 8 years - it has been carted with us for two moves!

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

This message was edited Jul 18, 2005 2:01 PM

Marlow, OK

Speaking of steer manure like bull, calf or what ever, It probably has also bird and frog and rat manure in it also. I've seen the packaged "steer manure", I laugh every time I see it.

I take it Goez, you've spent time in the country..

It is great for a soil builder tho..

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.