Today's Blooms :-D

(Zone 7a)

:-D

Thumbnail by Kim_M
Colorado Springs, CO(Zone 6a)

Oooh so pretty Kim! I am such a sucker for white blooms. I can't seem to get mine to bloom more than one at a time. They sure are pretty!

(Zone 7a)

The seed pods are HUGE! I'm still trying to figure out what kind..Any ideas? Definitely not Metel.

Corte Madera, CA

it's sure is beautiful.

do all daturas produce seeds pods after bloom time? thanks.

(Zone 7a)

Mine do

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 7b)

Oh, I found a place that I can show off my blooms! I am VERY new to Daturas, and I actually have just two plants. This one was given to me by a friend, and was just bare root and about 10" tall. I plopped it in the pond until after dinner, and planted it then. It grew and grew, and is about 2 ft tall now, but nearly 4 ft across! This nite, she had (((((19 BLOOMS on her!)))))

I am loving this plant, and can't wait to learn more about it, and how to grow the double and triples blooms!

Melanie

Thumbnail by TXMel
Colorado Springs, CO(Zone 6a)

Wow, very impressive Melanie!! I can't get more than one bloom at once, maybe you could teach me something! :) Susanne

Corte Madera, CA

thanks, kim.

wow, melanie.

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

kim - those look to be either inoxia or wrightii to me

(Zone 7a)

They've been identified as wrightii...LOL

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

oh sorry, I thought perhaps they had been, but wasn't sure lol

(Zone 7a)

I had put them over in the Identification a few days ago, and they came up with wrightii.

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

ah hah! I haven't looked in there lately

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 7b)

Here is that same plant with SEVENTY FIVE, yes, 75 blooms that night! I have no idea what has gotten into her...!

=D

melanie

Thumbnail by TXMel
Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Have been growing this particular strain for years here in Texas. It is also known as a Jimson weed and is very toxic....banned in many places because it kills livestock. If you cut the bloom off (deadhead) everyday they will bloom their hearts out. I have many pictures from this year of more than 30 blooming at a time. If you watch closely you will see that it takes honey bees searching for the nectar to open the blossom. The bees will pay you no mind as they go about their business and you can literally watch while the trumpet opens. I have only recently acquired the double purple and double yellow Datura. Did not know there was a name for any of these until recently. We always called the white moon vine because of it only opening at dusk. Another that is very complimentary to this is the four o'clock because it also opens late and has a very sublte aroma that is similiar to "moon vine". (I also have another plant that is actually a vine and performs the same as the plant) If you let some of the plant go to seed you will have hundreds come up next spring. The plant dies completely to the ground after the first frost and comes back with a larger trunk the next year. Be careful where you plant because it gets VERY LARGE and will shade out everything around it.

Thumbnail by LouC

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.