Araujia Sericifera

Livermore, CA(Zone 9a)

I just had to share this picture. It is my cruel plant vine. I started the original vine from seeds 3 yrs. ago. when we moved 1 1/2 years ago, I took cuttings and this is from my cutting. It is particularly pretty if it is planted next to a dark flowering buddleia bush or a tree with dark flowers. Mine is planted with a Clematis durante, however the clematis has already finished blooming.

Thumbnail by jerodsmom
(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Hi!
Thanks for sharing your picture! That is just gorgoues. Mine hasn't bloomed yet, and isn't nearlly as full as yours. Mine is only a year and a half old...

Nice to see what I have to look forward to, as it ages.
Great photo!
-T

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Patricia, when should the one you sent me bloom? It is over 8' long. Do I need to do anything special to force it to bloom?

Livermore, CA(Zone 9a)

It will probably bloom for you next year Jodie. My original one took a couple years to bloom.

Patricia-
I remember when you moved, and you hurt your arm, right? At that time you were really wanting to garden in your new home, but couldn't...(that was a while back).

Looks like you've done a great job catching up!

My friend at the botanical gardens told me a story about cruel vine. She had a group of real botanists and other such "real plant people" toured the botanical gardens and conservatory she oversees. She said of all the rare and unusual stuff, she got the most conversation, comments, and compliments off a little ole' cruel vine growing up a chain link fence by the parking lot! lol...She said it was in bloom and most of them had never seen one before...They just ooed and awed over what she'd formerly regarded as no big deal...lol...

Did you ever get a Thunbergia grandiflora?

-Taylor

Livermore, CA(Zone 9a)

Hi Taylor, yes I do have a thunbergia grandiflora. I tried rooting a bunch this Fall, but gradually lost all my cuttings. I was still getting used to my greenhouse. I have some cuttings potted up right now. I am keeping my fingers crossed that they take.

I will take a few pictures of the garden this morning so you can see the process I have made in the last year and a half. It isn't looking it's best right now. We have been in the high 90's for a week and they are forcasting that it will stay that way for another 7 day's. It is especially hard on the brug. seedlings that are sitting in pots everywhere.

I'd love to see your pictures!
thanks!
-T

Livermore, CA(Zone 9a)

O.K. here they are. It is really hazy today with all this heat.

Thumbnail by jerodsmom
Livermore, CA(Zone 9a)

and another shot

Thumbnail by jerodsmom
Livermore, CA(Zone 9a)

and yet another

Thumbnail by jerodsmom
Livermore, CA(Zone 9a)

another

Thumbnail by jerodsmom
Livermore, CA(Zone 9a)

and the last picture

Livermore, CA(Zone 9a)

woops sorry about that

Thumbnail by jerodsmom

Very nice!
...you HAVE been busy, lol...

Where did you get your greenhouse? I think I've seen that one in the Charley's greenhouse catalog, and in some others. Did you find it locally, or mail order? (Can I ask how much?)

-T

Livermore, CA(Zone 9a)

I can't remember the name of the company, but I ordered it from a company in
Canada.

Thank you for sharing your garden. You've done a lovely job
-T

Livermore, CA(Zone 9a)

Thank You. There is still alot of work to do , but it is coming along. The next big thing is getting all my walkways in the the concrete patio redone.

I don't think we gardeners are ever REALLY done, are we? lol...always SOMEthing else we think we can add, or improve...

I did notice that your walkways were the ONLY part of your earth not planted with flowers, lol...

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Patricia, your yard is GORGEOUS! With a hurt back, neck and arm, you surely did good. Did Bob help?

Livermore, CA(Zone 9a)

Now you should know better than than Jodie haha.

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

Beautiful yard, Patricia.. I know all about DH's helping in the gardens. LOL Mine never steps foot in my gardens. Not even the veggie garden. LOL

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

Its wonderful!!!!!

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Just beautiful!!! The cruel plant is neat. I'm always looking for different vines to try. I checked ebay for seeds but nothings. Where did you say you bought the seeds?
:) Donna

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

I have never heard of a cruel plant. Dare I ask how it got its name?

Love your garden Patricia. It looks just great. Did you have to redo it all since you moved or did it have some structure already that you could use?

Livermore, CA(Zone 9a)

Donna, I think I got my original seeds in a round robin seed exchange. I will be watching for seeds on mine. I do have some cuttings I am trying to root right now. So if you are interested in a cutting later in the summer, I might be able to help you out with one. Just check back with me.

Kell, When we moved in about 18 mo. ago everything was generic landscape shrubs, so I tore everything out. Everything in the backyard except for the three tree's has been planted since then. My husband can't seem to understand how expensive it is to buy shrubs and tree's, so he hasn't forked over any extra money to help with the landscaping as of yet. Alot of what I have put in, I have traded for or bought out of my household allowance. That makes it a slow process getting it completely landscaped. But I have really enjoyed working on it. It will always be a work in progress.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

That would be cool. Thank you.
:) Donna

Livermore, CA(Zone 9a)

Kell, I forgot to add that the reason this vine is called cruel plant is that it's nectar attracts insects which climb inside the blooms, then the flowers closes up trapping the insect inside. The next morning it opens up and releases the insect.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

What a reprieve! LOL. Thanks Patricia. So interesting. Those flowers look so small, they must catch gnats.

Savannah, GA(Zone 8b)

beautiful garden. How about the brugs in the pots, are they from seed or cuttings? I have two and one has not bloomed yet.

Livermore, CA(Zone 9a)

They are mostly seedlings, I told someone a few day's ago that I had around 40 brugs. in the ground and in pots. Well this morning I thought, maybe I had stretched it a bit, so I went out and counted them. There was 93 total. I am sure some of them won't bloom this season though. Those I will let go dormat over the winter.
Some of the seedlings, I am growing out for Kell.

Patricia

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.