My new alpine sinks

North East England, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

I am fortunate that I have acquired 3 ceramic sinks (one was already coated with hypertufa). I've now finished planting 2 of them and look forward to choosing a few more plants. Here's a before (or during) shot.

Thumbnail by Galanthophile

And the 2 finished sinks

Thumbnail by Galanthophile
somewhere, PA

How long betwen before & after? You've got lichen & moss growing on
the lower one already? Very nice!

Only a few days - but - the lower one was given to me in that condition by my neighbour!

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Those look absolutely wonderful. I can't wait to see those new plants kick into gear.

Isn't it a great feeling when you've just smoothed in the last handful of gravel/grit! I love making alpine pots. When the sun isn't blazing we need to repot some of ours, I like the look of your sinks, I may keep an eye out in the local paper for one.

What did you plant Galathophile?

Several primulas, sempervivums, oxalis, crocus, saxifraga longifolia, saxifraga crustata. I'm sure I'll be adding a few more. I'd like to aim for some all year round interest.

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

That sounds ideal, Galanthophile. They're going to be beautiful.

Baa, when will we see pictures of your alpines in this forum? I know you have a camera, because I've seen the beautiful photos you post in Plant Files.

You've got a good mix of foliage and flowers, I love Primula!

Zuzu

Ahhh well here's the excuse, I've been busy taking piccies of items for my business out in the garden and it's so sunny and hot here, I've got eye burn right now.

The alpine collection is somewhat small and weed invaded right now so when I get a chance to see properly and clean out the pots I'll take a few piccies ;)

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Seeing properly is definitely a priority, Baa. Cleaning out the pots, however, is not that crucial. I love seeing blooms, weed-invaded or not. Alpine season here is pretty much over. It's so exciting to see the pictures posted by Todd, Galanthophile, and the others in cooler climates.

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Great troughs! Nice and large....and I guess permanent in their place...several hundreds pounds each I figure. The plantings should be fantastic by next spring.

If growing oxalis, try and get 'Ione Hecker'...mine is nearly ever blooming all summer and the foliage is excellent even without flowers. 'Beatrice Anderson' is very similar. Others I enjoy with a long season of bloom are O. squamata and O. depressa.

I've only acquired these 2 oxalis this year as I once had a perennial oxalis that just took over everything and really put me off. Thanks for the suggestions and kind comments Todd. Yes these sinks are now permanent! Would you believe I got all 3 for free? Lucky or what! I'll try to post a few more pictures. I wanted the 3rd sink to be for some choice plants like trillium, nomocharis, galathus and some of the rarer lilies. I'm not sure what to top dress that one with yet.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.