How should I start Bean Bush Snap?

Orange, CA(Zone 10b)

I'm rather new at this. I want to start sprouting a few beans and plant them in a half-barrel container. ( I like things in containers.) What I have is Bean Bush Snap "Contender". The thing that made me buy this particular kind of seed packet was the promise of 40 days from sowing to harvest.

Can I soak them and sprout them on paper towels before putting them into the soil? I know some of you reading this may be laughing at my feeble attempt at gardening. It is kind of funny to try and grow real vegetables in containers but I don't have very much gardening space and am only growing things for the fun of it.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Yes, you can presprout them. More trouble than it is worth in my opinion as they germinate rapidly in moist soil. Contender is a good snap and one of the quicker maturing ones. Allow a few extra days on that 40 tho, never had any quite that fast, but then every thing is faster in the Golden State.

Orange, CA(Zone 10b)

Thanks for your help, Farmerdill. I put a few in a starter pot today. It's supposed to take 10 days for the plants to emerge. Lets see if this particular thing is faster in the Golden State.

I plan to stagger the plantings in order to have fresh beans for as long as possible and was wondering how long my growing season is. The package says "warm season crop" and "tolerates hot weather". The days here are warm well into the end of October. Where can I find info about the growing season for my particular area?

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Ther are agricultural extension agents (County Agents) just about every where. In California they probably are connected to Cal_ Davis. Try
http://ucanr.org/ce.cfm
The county agent for Orange County can be reached at E-Mail: ceorange@ucdavis.edu

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.