Blue flowers blooming now, Part 3

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

I'm way behind on moving to a new thread. I apologize to all of the dialup people.

I'm running out of blue things no one has posted, but here's a tiny alpine plant. It's Jasione alpestris.

Thumbnail by Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

I started the first of these blue threads after the Dianella tasmanica had finished blooming, but look at the cool blue berry-type thingies it's got on it now.

Thumbnail by Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

This is Lathyrus sativus var. azureus. It's actually in a hanging basket, but it currently has only one bloom so I positioned it in front of a rock so you could see how blue it is.

Thumbnail by Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

I posted a picture of a Sanicula way back at the beginning of the first part of this thread, and that plant, which was in the ground, has finished blooming, but this one, which is in a pot, also started blooming in February and is still going strong, so I'm posting the flower again. If you want a plant that has a pretty blue flower and is an ultra-reliable performer, buy this Sanicula coerulescens.

Thumbnail by Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Yes, I know that water hyacinths are really lavender rather than blue, but this is too beautiful not to post.

Thumbnail by Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Here's part of a big hydrangea. It starts out blue and fades to pink.

Thumbnail by Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Here's another thing that isn't blue, but it used to be. This is the color the dark blue Salpiglossis fades into before it conks out for the year. Isn't it luscious?

Thumbnail by Zuzu
somewhere, PA

Zuzu - gorgeous all! Can't believe we're still going strong here!
Tam

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Yes thanks Zuzu, was just about to give up, my dial-up is very slow anyway.

Love the beautiful blue berries on the Dianella, couldn't find Sanicula in any of my books, very interesting bloom.

boojum, I just absolutely love your gentiana dahurica.

DonnaS

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

Donna, I have more photos to download of dahurica in clumps. Hope it stays with me for years.

Ivy, it's delphineum chinensis, blue butterflies.

Mirpur (A.K), Pakistan(Zone 9b)

Just sowed Clitoria Tetnatea (blue). Is this okay ......will these germinatein this season?
Kaleem

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Wow, those are all beautiful.... wish I had a bigger yard... lol

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Boojum, I'm looking forward eagerly to photos of dahurica in clumps. I love that flower.

Donna, you should always complain when a thread gets too long. It's so easy to start a new one, and the whole point of these is to share with everyone. I originally bought the Sanicula because I saw a picture of it on the ForestFarm Website. I had never heard of it and I've still never found it anywhere but ForestFarm. This year I did that with Pimpinella, which I found on the Joy Creek Website. Do you know that one? It's like Queen Anne's Lace, but in pink instead of white. It's really pretty and a very long bloomer. It's so exciting to find new plants that look good and perform well.

Kaleem, I think they will germinate this year in your zone. You still have a lot of good growing weather coming your way.

Syracuse, NY(Zone 5a)

Well, I've been enjoying everyone else's blues, they're my favorite, I'm hoping to put together an entire bed of shades of blue. Here's the start. Front to back, Salvia guaranitica 'black & blue,' Delphinium 'butterfly blue,' and Verponica 'sunny border blue,' I think. I just moved into a new house, so all of these were planted this year (most were overwintered or transplanted from my previous garden.. er.. house.

This message was edited Jul 13, 2005 12:31 PM

Thumbnail by DarwinESF

yummy! Finally got a photo of my delphinieum. Love that blue!

Thumbnail by boojum

Thought I was getting one plant but look at this!

Thumbnail by boojum

Here's the dahurica.

Thumbnail by boojum
Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Thanks, Boojum, you can't imagine how much I love that Gentiana, and the Delphinium is really beautiful.

Nice melange of blues, Darwin. Sure looks well established for something planted this year.

Zuzu
Seeds of Clitoria Tetnatea are germinated, these are permanet plants are die after a season?
Kaleem

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Kaleem, they are tender perennials, not annuals, but I think they die if the temperature dips below 30-35 degrees. You're in a borderline zone, so if they're in a sheltered location, they might make it through to next year.

Zuzu
Thank you so much.
Kaleem

Dayton, OH(Zone 6a)

Here is a larkspur that I posted on the photo board earlier this week but think it belongs here too. Enjoy!!!!

Thumbnail by momtwins
Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

It definitely does belong here. It's really beautiful. Thank you very much for posting it here.

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

momtwins... great pic and I've got some delphinium with those same flowers (personal favs). I really think you have a delphinium there based on the foliage. ???

Rockford, IL(Zone 4b)

momtwins - very nice shot! I love the color blends of blue and purple. I agree with 8ft - I think you've got a delphinium.

Thumbnail by sstateham
Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

Blue Bird hibiscus started a party while I was gone!

Thumbnail by 8ftbed

I just put in a baby Blue Bird hibisus this year! Hope it looks as beautiful as that one some day!

My larkspur

Thumbnail by gumlla

Kaleem that is perfect! Here is one of mine. It is a pale, greyish blue. It is called Larkspur 'Earl Grey'. I grew them from seed this spring and these managed to escape the slugs. The color is very cool and frosty looking.

Thumbnail by

This is a new color to me because I have seen only blues. You have beautiful color and healthy plant.
Kaleem

Thanks, Kaleem. I really do like this color! I bought the seed from Select Seeds and the color turned out to be very different from any other blue in the garden. I hope this one reseeds!

New York, NY(Zone 7a)

Blue Bird is lovely, but personally I'd love it even more without the reddish eye. Has anyone seen a self version, like a blue Diana, or a double where the eye is hidden?

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Here is a picture of my balloon flower, it is really pretty to me. Does anyone know if it comes true to see? I have collected quite a bit of seed from them...would like to sow in other areas as border plants. Thanks.

Thumbnail by JanetS
Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

Janet - at least one of my balloon flowers came true from seed but maybe because it was by itself. Now there's a couple other varieties around it so maybe they'll mix it up a bit.

dawn - there's another called Blue Satin which was a seedling of Blue Bird. It's supposed to be even bluer but I haven't seen it personally and don't know what the eye looks like. Guess you could always touch things up a bit with some "eye" shadow before taking pictures. :)

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks for the info..I will give them a try and let you know.

New York, NY(Zone 7a)

8ftbed, if I had light blue eyeshadow, that might be a good way to use it up!

JanetS
You baloon flowers are fantastic, when did you plant these?
Kaleem

Safety Harbor, FL(Zone 9b)

Just getting in on this thread.

ZuZu - Would really like to see additional photos of your Lathyrus sativus var. azureus. It looks like it could be the one that is just popping up in my mulched beds on the south side of the house. Didn't know if it was a 'desirable' or not -- not invasive? It's really going to town! :)

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Kaleem,
These are at least two years old, they are the dwarf variety. They probably get about 8-10 inches tall. I have seed if you would like some. LMK
JanetS

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Zuzu,
Is the blue Salpiglossis really a real plant? That look like it is silk...I have never seen those. Do you plant them from seed and if so when would I plant in my zone7b to get flowers? Also, the vine Clitoria Tetnatea, is something I would love to have for my trellis, I am looking for something that has a long lasting bloom time and will grow quickly each year. Do you know where I can order the seed for this vine? Thank so much for this thread..I love the blues!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.