NEED HELP-Sowing Hollyhocks & Lupines (Question)

Bryson, QC(Zone 4a)

I just love Hollyhocks and Lupines...
My crazy question-
Would it be alright to sow them now in containers to get a jump start for nxt yr..Then plant them in beds so they will have a better start in the Spring?Found they were spindly from last fall sowing..till now.

Thank-You,
Ingrid

New York & Terrell, TX(Zone 8b)

Hi Ingrid,

Both seeds need to be cold treated to start up first. And remember Hollyhocks need to be placed on top of the soil and just pushed down gently on moist soil; as they also need light to germinate.

Here are 2 places to check out; bookmark them:

Seeds & seed starting: Tom Clothier's Garden Walk & Talk http://tomclothier.hort.net/index.html

Seed Germination Database http://www.backyardgardener.com/tm.html

~* Robin

This message was edited Jul 12, 2005 12:35 AM

Bryson, QC(Zone 4a)

NatureWalker
Thank-You very much for your help!!Will check those sites and keep them bookmarked.
Ingrid

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

The Tom Clothier site does not mention stratification for lupines. I just stuck the seed in seed starting mix and they came up - are about 1.5 inches tall now. They're Russell hydrids.

Quoting:
Lupinus arboreus, littoralis, podophyllus, polyphyllus, russel hybrids, sericeus, and texensis , Pour hot water over seeds, let soak 1-3 days until swelling noticeable. Sow at 20ºC (68ºF) for germination in more than two weeks.

Lupinus lepidus, perennis , Pour hot water over seeds, let soak 1-3 days until swelling noticeable. Sow at 20ºC (68ºF), if no germination in 3-4 wks, move to -4 to +4ºC (24-39ºF) for 12 wks, then return to 20ºC (68ºF) for germination

Bryson, QC(Zone 4a)

kooger
Great, I will do the same..Just wanted a head start for nxt yr..
Ingrid

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

I wanted to see if 04 seed was still viable and I got 4 plants from a lot of seed. Guess fresh is better! :)

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

This is what I found on hollyhocks - sure wish I knew which kind of seed I have. Better check the PF and see if I can ID some of the pics.

Quoting:
Alcea ficifolia, and rosea , Sow at 20ºC (68ºF), if no germination in 3-4 wks, move to -4 to +4ºC (24-39ºF) for 2-4 wks Often biennial

Alcea pallida, and rugosa , Sow at Max. 5ºC (41ºF), germination irregular, often several months

Malva alcea, and moschata, Sow at Max. 5ºC (41ºF), germination irregular, often several months

Malva arbourea , neglecta, and sylvestris, Sow at 20ºC (68ºF) in light, germinates in less than two wks

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Paridise--I'm so glad you asked this question and that everyone answered so promptly...I was just wondering the same thing...I'm going to get some seeds try to germinate them and plant them out...

Lupines and hollyhocks are so pretty!

Thanks again, everybody. t.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.