When are the Pods ready to harvest?

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

Can I pull them early and dry them in a paper bag, or put a nylon hose over them to collect the seed after they burst? Here's a pic of what mine look like, as of today. Maybe someone can tell me how far off I am?

Thumbnail by Karrie20x
Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

They turn brownish at least around the edges before they split open. and they do seed around ... I never planted any of mine. LOL

Salt Lake City, UT(Zone 5b)

I waited until the seed pod split open on its own. The only problem with doing this was that my datura reseeded profusly and I was forever pulling up the volunteers! I did however save two plants to enjoy this summer. Good luck!

Lindsey :)

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

ummm mine popped open today and were still fully green on the outside. strangest thing . but the seeds looked really good and drying in a cup just to make sure.

Laurens, SC(Zone 8a)

The seeds inside will be brown or black before they are ready. If you do not want the plant to self seed simply clip the pods before they open or before the seeds are ready. If you want to collect seeds, you can also clip the pods and let them dry in a brown paper bag then shake to loosen the seeds. The pods are VERY prickly and caution must be used!! Bonnie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.