Hens & Chicks

Rockford, IL

I pulled out some hens & chicks this spring. They hadn't done much over the past couple of years and I wanted to plant something else in their spot. I didn't know where to transplant them so I stuck them in a strawberry pot that I had. Now there are a couple of 'tall' shoots coming out with blossoms on them. I've never seen flowers on hens & chicks prior to this, have you?

Thumbnail by ConeflowerCate
crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

Can't say that I have. But that is one gorgeous strawberry pot!!

Tina

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

that is a lovely pot. I have some succulents w/ shoot type flowering like the one in your pic but never on H&C. It is possible that some birdie deposited a seed. You should post this in the cacti & succulent. those people are on the ball over there and can tell you for sure what this is all about.

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

They flower like that when they get crowded enough. Usually the 'center' hen sends up the tall hen looking stalk and then that may branch into stalklets with flowers [seed head? bitty baby chicks? Mine have been the border on my gardens for so long that it's a common happening. I had pics. I HAVE pics, but it's as hard as looking in a box of loose prints. LOL

Rockford, IL

Thanks tmbolin & vossner. Blue is my favorite color and when I saw this pot, I just had to have it. That's a good idea about posting in the cacti/succulent forum--I'll give it a go.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I've had it happen. Usually the mother that sent up the tal shoot dies after flowering for me.

Susan

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

so far I've only seen it in pics... and here's another fine example.
Congratulations and thanks for posting. That's a great idea.

I just really started collecting some since last fall. Have them inground, a couple of pots and a big tree snag I brought home that had a little hollow area.

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Here's a pic of one of mine doing it's tall thing

Thumbnail by BloomsWithaView
Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

And after it gets 'flowers'. Then they usually fall over and the whole hen dies.

Thumbnail by BloomsWithaView
crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

thats depressing....

Rockford, IL

Nice pictures, BloomsWithaView. That flower stalk is huge. Thanks for sharing

Providence Forge, VA

This is an interesting topic......my mother hen sent up a long stalk like this, too. After the flowers looked like they were dying, I just wacked the long part off and the mother hen still looks fine. Does she die later on usually?

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

Three of my hen and chicks have sent up blooms this year, one is a pretty pink, they grow in my rock retaining wall and they can have all the room they want.

Thumbnail by meezersfive
waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

Here's another

Thumbnail by meezersfive
waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

and the third

Thumbnail by meezersfive

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.