Franklin Land Trust Garden Tour

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

I was one of the gardens on the garden tour this weekend. I was so busy that I hardly took many photos but my hollyhocks and JIs were a big hit. Here are some photos. It was great to get all the compliments and to see others shooting photos besides me!

Thumbnail by boojum

Some photographers.

Thumbnail by boojum

And another one.

Thumbnail by boojum

What daylily is that?? Luckily I label them all, so not many questions about names today-although I did see lots of people scribbling names on scraps of paper.

Thumbnail by boojum

More folks.

Thumbnail by boojum

Most people spent their time in the JI rows.

Thumbnail by boojum

Here's a sample of what they were seeing.

Thumbnail by boojum

More.

Thumbnail by boojum

Meadowsweet (filipendula) was a big hit.

Thumbnail by boojum

The passionflower (belotti) bloomed for them.

Thumbnail by boojum

And of course the hollyhock garden I put in last year.

Thumbnail by boojum

I am exhausted from talking shop for hours but exhilarated from all the acknowledgement from both gardeners and laypeople. I smiled for 2 days straight (my mouth muscles are also exhausted)!

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Wow! Thanks for sharing. That was beautiful!

Concord, NH(Zone 5a)

Congrats on your hard work! Those are beautiful pictures that I am sure dont do justice to your flowers.

Western, WI(Zone 4a)

Boojum, what is the variety of iris that is blooming in front? Flat purple blossom. Looks like it a could be a siberian iris?

Maxine

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

booj, congratulations on the Tour! How energetic and courageous of you to open your garden for everyone....

everything, I am sure, was beautiful, and it's no surprise to me that the Japanese Iris were a big hit. Your collection is marvelous and I think JI are generally underused (unknown) by most gardeners, so I would think your plantings of them would be of high interest and most appreciated.

Thanks for posting the pics(even though you're exhausted!) ! t. (-:

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

Am so sorry I don't come to Mass. any more. What a great garden you have. Totally Yum. My first JI is showing colour though. Last sib in bloom - Holden Clough-

NALS this week in Winnipeg. Has been so hot that most are in full bloom now - rats - and many flattened due to strong winds and almost daily storm. Double rats. So much for the 2000 lily stems demanded by show organizers. Ah me.

Inanda - who HATES garden space constraints.

Inanda I am having siberians reblooming this summer with the JIs! I always have reprise blooming till the JIs are done but I also have blooms on Ranman and China Spring right now. And BUDS on Summer Revels!! There was a JI show yesterday as well as the tour. The JIs were beaten up in the rain storms on Friday and mine were peaking LAST weekend so I totally get what you're saying about the lilies! I wasn't there but many irisarians visited after their show and said the judges were gentle because they understood the weather problems.

Maxine, they are all Japanese Iris (sorry, I was using abbreviations).

My gardens are even more beautiful today as the daylilies open! So I continued to invite folks over. Guess the tour guide thing winds down slowly.

Here are some other highlights folks enjoyed. Dancing eyes and Blackjack asiatics with Raspberry Blush dwarf daylily in front.

Thumbnail by boojum

Here are some Canada Lilies from my woodsy area that I transplanted into the stair garden.

Thumbnail by boojum
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Love the shot of your Canada lilies (and what is that pretty little blue flower with them? Do you know?) t.

It's a stinky spiderwort that hitch hiked my citrina daylily to the property (can you tell I'm not a big fan?). It just happens to look great with the canada lilies but it's days are limited. Actually I like spiderworts until they flop over but not when they hide in other plants for survival.

Thumbnail by boojum

Oops wasn't blooming by that time of day-BTW, the blues in that photo (that I intended) are chinese delphineums and a campanula.

Western, WI(Zone 4a)

Leaves of Canada Lilies look like martagon lily leaves?
Are they?

What company in Canada did you order them from?

Nosy, aren't I?

Maxine

Ha! They are local-found them in the woods on the property. Lilium canadensis. I believe martagons are not North American.

Western, WI(Zone 4a)

You mean they are wild flowers? Wow, would I like to receive some.
All we have here for lilies are the wild tiger orange spotted lilies.

Maxine

Maxine, this was the only one I found here, so none to share. Sorry.

Western, WI(Zone 4a)

Thanks for sharing your pictures thou!!

Its cool inside today with the air, temp's outside today are supposed to go to 96 or higher with humidity in mid 70's.
Thought I would pull weeds this morning, but the CFS hit big time!!

Maxine

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.