My own Japanese Maple selections

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

About 5 years ago I received a bunch of Japanese maple seeds from a lady in Victoria, BC. Most ended up being pretty plain, but I did get a couple of interesting seedlings. This seedling is very similar to the cultivar 'Katsura'. This is the spring colour.

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

This is a pic of it taken today.

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

and a pic from last fall.

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Gorgeous, Todd! Luv the way it can have so many different colors.
:) Donna

Austell, GA(Zone 7a)

Gorgeous!! Have you had any seeds on it?

Chicago, IL

Breathtaking! More!!!!!!

Imperial Beach, CA

hi Todd i saw a picture of the "red pygmy" you have in a pot. it sure looks like it is doing well and i wonder if you would share with me what kind of potting soil you use,

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

My potting media is promix to which extra perlite, a little turface and compost has been added. I have three Japanese maples in pots, all semi-dwarf types.

Imperial Beach, CA

thanks Todd - i had my tree in the ground for 2 years but the leaves started turing brown and the ends of the limbs were dyeing so i potted it. hopefully it will come back

West Portsmouth, OH(Zone 6a)

Hi, I'm Jan. I'm a nerd, but I love these Japanese Maples, too. I have two tiny viridis cascading type maples that are two years old now and are only about 8" tall. Did I have them in too big a pot and that is why they are still so small? They were in 8" pots before and I just put them into 4" pots. Should I fertilize them? I have a Crimson Queen that is at least 15 years old it's about 5 x 8 x 10 and the talk of the neighborhood. I have another Inabe Shidare still in a pot and I want to keep it there. I'd just like for these two little green things to really grow a little faster. What can any of you tell me? Thanks.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.