Using Vinegar for Weeds

Muskegon, MI(Zone 5a)

Im not sure this is the right forum for this question but Im in need of some advice..I have chickweed in my veggie garden and its out of control...Ive heard some people using vinegar but wondered if it would stay in the ground too long before you could plant anything ..Any thoughts?..Judy

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

The acetic acid in vinegar is quickly neutralized by base elements of organic molecules or base minerals in the soil.

Al

Muskegon, MI(Zone 5a)

But will it kill chickweed???...: )

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

You didn't ask that. ;o) I'm not sure how effective it is, but there are many other products that are more effective. Acetic acid (vinegar) would have to be considered non-selective as an herbicide. The mechanism of action of acetic acid is similar to that of paraquat in that acetic acid causes the rapid dissolution of cell membrane integrity resulting in cellular collapse and the accompanying dessication of foliar tissues. Since acetic acid is non‑selective, it may damage any plants it contacts (turf grass).

Its use is problematic in that while acetic acid may burn off plants, it may not control the root system responsible for regeneration of plants. It would be particularly ineffective on plants with deep root systems.

Al

Muskegon, MI(Zone 5a)

Al, I have a huge crop of chickweed in my veggie garden which is empty of any crop right now..I didnt plant anything this year and thought it would be a good time to see if the vinegar would work at killing the weeds...I just didnt want the soil to be contaminated after using it....Sounds like I could spray all of them without damaging the soil for future crops....Correct?....Judy

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

If it's fallow, how do you feel about Round-Up? It would assuredly kill all the existing vegetation, as it's also non-selective. It works by a different, but far more effective mechanism. You'll have next years crop from seed to address in either case, though. I'm sorry, but I just cannot definitively say that vinegar will destroy the entire plant.

Al

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

I've heard a cover crop like buckwheat between growth periods is most effective at getting rid of chickweed. Also I've heard that some "meals" like brown mustard seed meal reduces chickweed by 65%. But this isn't stuff I've checked into (the studies, etc.) Just another idea.

Sultan, WA(Zone 8a)

I use vinegar on my gravel driveway to keep the weeds down. My yard smells like a pickle barrel for a few hours, but it works. But it is not selective. Nothing grows, even the grass. So . . . I wouldn't use it in a garden.

Do you sow seeds directly into your garden? Try using a product that inhibits germination. I can't remember what it is called. It won't harm a plant that is already established, but won't won't allow seeds to sprout. It does help to keep the weeds down, my neighbor has used it to great success.

Muskegon, MI(Zone 5a)

It may be called Preen?..Ive heard people using it and having great success..I decided against the vinegar in my garden so did the natural way and covered it with oak leaves from the year before..Ive had them in bags to add to the compost pile..I wont be using the veggie garden until next year so im going to layer and dig it in before winter..Judy

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Lucky you! I'd love oak leaves for the carrot bed.

Muskegon, MI(Zone 5a)

I would love maple since they decompose so much faster..the oak leaves need to be chopped to make compost faster....I guess the old saying the grass is greener on the other side...Judy

Winnipeg,, MB(Zone 3a)

i have a large maple in my front yard , so I will be using them leaves when they fall, and I have asked the fellow arcoss the lane to same me his leaves, He too has a huge maple.

another fellow I know uses oak leaves for paths in his garden and he says it works just great for paths,,

Wilma

Sultan, WA(Zone 8a)

Preen I think is correct, I've also heard of people having great success with corn gluten.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.