Coffee tour

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

Had a few reqs in other forums/threads for some pics so I thought I'd just open a thread here.
Don't have anything from the WEST side that was still in dark shadows early this morning but maybe I'll add some more this afternoon. The main daylily patch is firing up.

This message was edited Jul 10, 2005 9:30 PM

Thumbnail by 8ftbed
Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

guess I have to say something with each pic

uh... couple of new daylilys and the varigated heliopsis in the back

Thumbnail by 8ftbed
Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

Thumbnail by 8ftbed
Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

Thumbnail by 8ftbed
Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

Thumbnail by 8ftbed
Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

Thumbnail by 8ftbed
Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

just an ordinary onion but they bloom fine like an expensive "alium". The bees love them and I've had people ask if they could get seeds or a cutting... they're kind of shocked when I tell them they're just onions I plant around to help repel aphids.

Thumbnail by 8ftbed
Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

Thumbnail by 8ftbed
Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

Thumbnail by 8ftbed
Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

Thumbnail by 8ftbed
Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

Thumbnail by 8ftbed
Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

(sweet potatoes and a canna from the IA roundup

Thumbnail by 8ftbed
Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

neighbor had her birds out and was fixing to give them a bath

Thumbnail by 8ftbed
Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

for laughs....... Today is garlic harvesting day and also the anniversary of my DS's death. Used to wear one of her Mumu's I found on the back of her bedroom door but I got a new one from AlohaCarol this year.
Ok.... time to go have some brews with my sister..
edited to clarify- I wear Pam's mumu on her anniversary :)

This message was edited Jul 10, 2005 12:55 PM

Thumbnail by 8ftbed
Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

ok... one more I took yesterday for a 'Blues.." thread but I like it

Thumbnail by 8ftbed
Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

Oh... first butterlfy raceme is open..

Thumbnail by 8ftbed
Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

Thumbnail by 8ftbed
Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Blaine,

Love the Muumuu. Nice of Carol. Your sister must have had a sense of humor to match yours. Nice touch.

Is that a Hansa Regosa rose? It sure is blooming nice. Mine is too but probably doesn't get as much sun as yours.

What kind of fertilizer do you give your daylillies? Nobody seems to answer about fertilizers. Are they acidic or sweet? I am going to put super phosphate on my Forsythia, Lilacs etc. What about the lillies?

Jeanette

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

The rose is 'Autumn Damask' and was actually her spring flush last month.
I saw one segment on a garden show with this guy that had hundreds of named lilies and he said all he did was throw some superphosphate on them in the spring and that was it. I tried it that year on my main bed and didn't see any diff. Mine get nothing special... compost from the shredded leaf mulch when it breaks down and then whenever I happen to go through and spray the whole yard. Usually a variation of the Jerry Baker juice but I don't stick with the program to tight. Guess I've hit the yard 3 times since May.

If you've got good soil and mulch or top dress with compost throwing fertilizer at stuff doesn't do a whole lot more. Except for the pigs like cannas, callas and brugs.
And yeah, Pam was major hoot.

Rockford, IL(Zone 4b)

8ft - the pics are great. I know I commented on it in the blues thread, but I really like the iris, daisy, and baloon flower combo. Is that a barberry with the lilies? If you end up on a garden walk, please let me know - I'd love to see your garden! With the weather here being so hot yesterday, I'll bet that was pretty comfy, and the mumu goes so nicely with the biker shades. You could start a trend if you're not careful!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I envy all your wonderful sun with everything standing straight up! do you know which onion? It is very pretty.

White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

8ftbed - you have some great pics, your garden must be awesome! I love the shot of the grass path on the side of the house. The lush grass, rather than a stone walkway, gives it a refreshing feeling that's so inviting - plus it makes you want to find out what's around the corner.

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

sstateham... you already have an open invitation! If you happen to be in the neighborhood just swing by. It's rare I'm not outside fooling around from around 4 to dark or later during the week and most all day on the weekend. If you have a definite date you'll be around let me know and I'll absolutely be there. Then maybe I'll get an invite to yours. :) LMK

levilya... actually any onion will do that. If growing for food you usually pull them before the bolt. Whatever you have on hand in your refrig... just go out and plant a few here and there. Anytime before the ground freezes. Then don't worry about them, even through the winter. They'll be up next spring. So far, I think they've all had the same white flower heads. This particular pic is an onion that's probably 3 or 4 years old. I forget what varieties I planted that year for food and stuck the scrubs out in flower beds. I have some others blooming that were from some red sets the neighbor gave last year and I had planted them in containers with cannas. In the fall when dumping I found 4 I had missed so I just planted them then moved again this spring. I'll show a pic this evening.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Do you mean to tell me I can just go in my refrigerator and get ANY onion and plant it????????????????????? (I have never had any experience with vegetable gardening)

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

you betcha! You've probably bypassed ones in the store that had a few sprouts.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

well off to the frig........but I don't have full sun anywhere.

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

8ft- Love the Barberry - Lily combo- you should post that on the Color Echoes thread!

I agree with Sanannie about the grass path picture. Everyone wants to know how to do their side yards, well yours is a perfect example of how to make the most of one. I think that side gardens are the most satisfying. You can force perspective, make the eye go where you want it to. Plus, they are usually small enough to actually feel like you finished it!

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

tks sanannie and ivy1. I think I did put a shot in the color echoes. ?? The grass can be nice but it''s a pain and gradually dwindling away. I have never been able to let it go dormant like most people and it take a lot of water to keep it green through the heat. The side gardens have been harder for me - trying to find what will fluorish rather than just survive. The sides are only about 20' wide so you can't do too much... except water!!

Blaine, it's all beautiful! And those garlic! So can you plant garlic like you do onions? I'm very intruigued by this, as you have an excellent point about how expensive Allium is!

HOpe you get photos of your west side. I, too, love the look of the grassy path, so cool and inviting. One could just lie down on it with a good book! I can see why it would be labor intensive, though. Too bad, because it's great!

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

Oh yeah - I've got little clumps of garlic in several places. Some because when I opened a new bed I'd grow garlic for a couple years since I plant in Nov and cover with 8-12" shredded leaves which then break down by next fall. If you don't pull a plant, it multiplies and eventually you've got a clump of little garlic heads. I've just left them as I've read garlic deters aphids which I haven't had for years.

Rockford, IL(Zone 4b)

8ft - anytime you're out our way let me know! I'd be happy to serve a cold one and take you for a walk around the yard. By the way, silly little me was actually thinking about buying allium bulbs, I think I'll go grocery shopping instead.

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

onions = alium but the ones we eat all bloom white... so far. What's cool is they're blooming about now and fill in during the early summer lag.

Ok.. more shots from this afternoon. A lot of green this time of the year.

volunteer Bells of Ireland and Larkspur. The green behind will be a hedge of snifferific mums this fall.

Thumbnail by 8ftbed
Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

west side going behind the house. You can see some of my roundup goof showing in the grass.

Thumbnail by 8ftbed
Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

lily bed completely dug out for the first time in 5 years last fall. All the Asiatic and Orientals are now gone and as luck would have it, just about all I kept were my favorite yellows and stuff.

Thumbnail by 8ftbed
Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

looking back from where we came

Thumbnail by 8ftbed
Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

some of that Hakonechloa (sp) grass I put in last year to view out the window of the guest room.

Thumbnail by 8ftbed
Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

now on the NW corner of the house looking east along the back. Rose experiment in the containers on the left. David Austins I overwintered in them. Raspberries are getting ripe behind them.

Thumbnail by 8ftbed
Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

on the back deck looking toward where we just came from. Thats the garlic bed in the fence with some shastas on the end and roses and a peony in the middle. Now time to plant bush beans since I just pulled the garlic. Behind that is the dedicated vegetable garden but this year there's just volunteer potatoes, little pieces of the daylilies left over from last year's overhaul, extra cannas, volunteer sunflowers, a brug I threatened with death and some blue spruce I'm growing out to get one of the real blue ones. Looks like there's 2 keepers.

Thumbnail by 8ftbed
Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

Monarda (Jacob Cline I think) under a cherry tree wishing it wouldn't hog the water.

Thumbnail by 8ftbed
Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

couple of this years tomatoes. Thats not grass but volunteer wheat or whatever the straw came from that I mulch with.

Thumbnail by 8ftbed

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.