If you plant this, you'll regret it

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

if you feel like whining about one of your "vigorous" plants, here's your chance.
Today I'm griping about dwarf mexican petunia and tasmanian violet.
Mex. pet. aka ruellia. Grows everywhere, but last Feb. I whacked it good and I noticed it lost some of its vigor. Just make sure you pick up the cuttings or they will root right then and there!
Tasmanian violet. Took precaution of growing in a pot and the darned thing jumped. I wasn't watching and now it's all over the place. I guess I will use the paintbrush dabbed in roundup routine.

Salem, OR(Zone 7b)

Would the plant you are talking about also be called Primrose? I have that and it has popped up in many places that I didn't expect it to this year.

no I think that is different

Salem, OR(Zone 7b)

Thank you Vossner. I think the primrose is so pretty and delicate but got a little worried this year when my 3 plants have turned into about 5 larger and wider plants.

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

awwwww, No! Primrose is a thug? I was given a piece this spring and it bloomed and I thought it was good. In hind-sight, I don't think the source of this primrose has anything that does NOT try and inherit the world. Well - it's planted where I've got my first nicotiana and by the looks of the seed pods I'm going to have nicotiana for the rest of my life.

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

I need to find a spot where nicotiana is happy in my garden. Mine never reproduces.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

How about Petasities Japonica? I am going to roundup this very soon...

levylyla, oh no, no petasites. I got some in trade and they have died miserable deaths. They were doing great in pots, the minute I planted inground, they were gone within a week.

Salem, OR(Zone 7b)

I love my primrose so far, but by next year if it goes doubles and triples I might be singing a different tune. Never heard of nicotiana or petasites.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Vossner...that is hard to believe...this is going to be rounduped this afternoon!

Thumbnail by levilyla
Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

Are those Mayapples? If not, what are they?

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

LOL... that is Petasities japonica and they are about 20 times larger than a Mayapple.

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

Are those petasites? They look like Mayapples.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Mayapples are just about gone now..and much much smaller.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Katy Ruellia is the absolute worst! My next door neighbor planted some a few years ago and I am still having to constantly dig out rogue ruellia in several of my beds. Blech!

New York, NY(Zone 7a)

Chared, are you thinking of the pink-flowering evening primrose, Oenothera specios-something 'Siskiyou Pink'? That is supposed to be a big spreader, and it's doing a good job of it for me. I don't know about the yellow-flowered evening primroses, but I frequently see them in other people's gardens, and they're usually in a broad patch!

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

Sorry to have posted twice. I really wasn't in that big of a hurry for an answer. lol

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Funny about the Ruellia...I have tried it and it never seems to do anything.

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

Yellow primrose- Oy! Do you want some? I have a THOUSAND.

Rockford, IL(Zone 4b)

I'll stick with my may apples - petasities doesn't like our cold winters here, anyway. My personal antagonist (other than the garlic mustard weed) is solidago. I'm not sure which one it is, but it's something along the lines of 5 feet tall and impossible to pull it all before it sets seed.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I have Fireworks and I like it...I cut it back and it blooms a little shorter....nice to have it in the fall but you are right it does spread (easy to pull though).

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

sheesh... yellow primrose. Guess I oughta dig it now and if anything, plant it in a big pot and sink the pot. Maybe...

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

After you plant it in the pot, make sure you cut it down before it goes to seed......

My Solidago is hard to pull. I left some in and it is all over the place. I liked it till a friend of mine was over and she thought it was in the neighbors yard, so she said, "this garden is nice except for those big ugly weeds"

This message was edited Jul 12, 2005 10:24 AM

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

hahahah

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I planted a quart sized pot of pink evening Primrose one spring at the edge of an Iris bed. By fall it covered a 01' by 10' area. I spent a few hours digging up every iris and pulling out all the primrose roots, but got rid of it.

Veronicastrum virginicum, or Culver's Root is one that while it does not spread all that fast, I am having a heck of a time digging up. It seems to be able to come back from little bits of roots left in the ground. I have dug it up twice and it's still there. If anyone wants any, I am going to dig it up again this fall. Not a bad plant but attracks bees and I have a baby next door to me and I don't want to have to worry about him getting stung. Email me if you want some.

Susan

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

Gooseneck Loosetrife

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Anemone canadensis AND Mayapples for that matter.

This message was edited Jul 12, 2005 11:28 AM

Collins (90 min. dr, MS(Zone 8b)

I finally replanted my purple Obedience Plant "in the Back 40" & it's quite pretty there. DON'T plant it near anything you don't want to be overtaken.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

How did I forget this menace? Lamiastrum...Yellow Archangel???????? Nothing angelic about it..My husband calls it ground cancer.

Thumbnail by levilyla
Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

Yeah, but it looks great where it is. You wouldn't want a bunch of dirt, or gaudy plants in there, would you? lol

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

Obedient plant was one that only took one session to get rid of. From seed and and I was so happy with myself for 3 years.. just clumping a bit. Then it got happy and started expanding it's horizons and thats about the time I started hearing other's struggles. So it was rip, tear and nuke!

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

Oops. I just planted 3 Mayapples from my neighbor last year. I have 6 now. should I be worried?

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

If the Mayapples are where you want them you don't have to worry..I just have them naturally and they are where I DON"T want them and impossible to get rid of.

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

I love my Mayapples. They're going dormant now, so I'm glad they're next to hostas and ferns so the ground won't be barren.

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

What is this "paintbrush dipped in round-up routine"? Is that a way of getting rid of weeds in your garden without killing your other plants? If so, do tell! I could use something like that.

well, I have this clover looking thing that is growing within my asian jasmine groundcover. The jasmine is so tight it is impossible to weed (not that I want to bother). so I'm taking a sponge brush dipped in round up and "painting" the clover, which has grown taller than the asian jasmine. works like a charm. I also "paint" weeds growing in the cacti that is really thorny and not easy to pull by hand.

New York & Terrell, TX(Zone 8b)

Mayapple (Podophyllum peltatum) http://2bnthewild.com/plants/H29.htm
Description and Natural History of the Mayapple http://biotech.icmb.utexas.edu/botany/mayhist.html

To collect seeds from any nicotiana: put on a long sleeved shirt, disposable gloves, arm yourself with garden scissors and a paper bag; start snipping by slipping pods downwards into the bag. Hold onto bag firmly!

~* Robin

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

I found yellow primrose to come back from the root if you don't get it all when you dig it up!! And yes...they DO get bigger every year!

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

I have Hemerocallis fulva(ditch daylilies) everywhere (they were naturalized all over the place when I moved here). They're stoloniferous and spread like a cancer in the loose, sandy soil here. It's been a non-stop struggle to get them under control. I was nurturing what I thought was one of my nice daylilies and of course when it bloomed turned out to be my scourge! I knew that was bound to happen!

I love phlox paniculata, but have any of you had the problem of moving one, but it never stops coming up in the original site? I had a clump of pink in an area that became a red/orange/yellow garden and moved it out 2 years ago and am still digging out plants that show up. They're always easy to give away or trade, so not a big problem.

Rockford, IL(Zone 4b)

gemini - I feel your pain. I have ditch-lillies in spots all over 6 acres, but about two 30' stretches smack dab in the middle of the most visible parts of two beds. One in the back right by the deck, and the other all the way down the front drive. I've been working my way through the back bed, digging them out in sections and replanting. Bugger of a plant to dig out, too - you have to get rid of every trace or you get more the next year. In the stretch down the driveway the prior owners put down gravel between their plantings, and they apparently liked ditch-lillies. Now, 20+ years later, the gravel has worked it's way into the soil which is overgrown with the daylillies. Oh yeah - I forgot the "lanscape rocks" that they put in. They're actually chunks of concrete, which are intermixed in there, too.
I can hardly even get a shovel into it. I'm going to have to pay someone to dig the whole mess out.

Stacy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.