Salix Hakure nishiki

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

This is the willow before triming. It does love to put out lots of new growth. DonnaS

Thumbnail by rutholive
Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

It is rather difficult to see the willow as the grass for some reason grew quite large this year. The grass is planted in my little bog garden and the willow is at lower edge and gets lots of moisture. Not sure i will get it trimmed today, it is trying to rain. DonnaS

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

rutholive, excellent use of the grass and salix hakuro nishiki. Great combo!! Polly

Gadsden, AL(Zone 7b)

rutholive
thank you so much for posting this pic. I am so torn as to whether to get a shrub form or a standard form of this shrub.
I'm thinking of getting the shrub form and training it into a tree/topiary form.
If you have any other pics to share it would be GREATLY appreciated!
Thank you
Anita

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

pollyk, thanks for the compliment.

Anita, well it didn't rain so I spent more than an hour trimming the Salix. and here is the proof. Couldn't get far enough away from the Willow to get a good photo. DonnaS

Thumbnail by rutholive
Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

And here is the pile of clippings that will be shredded. DonnaS

Thumbnail by rutholive
Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

uh... you should start some of the cuttings. Bet you'd have some swapping power! I've tried and fried the Hashiki Nakuro twice. Still can't get a definitive statement on whether it likes sun or shade. They say 3rd time's a charm though... I may raid another house in the subdivision I noticed with a row of them doing just fine. :)

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

I've seen them in both sun and shade. Like it in shade better though.

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Mine is growing in pretty much full sun. Gets a little shade from a birch tree late afternoon. I think one of the main requirements is plenty of water. DonnaS

Gadsden, AL(Zone 7b)

Thank you so so so much. These pics are EXACTLY what I needed to see in order to make up my mind.

I have had a tough time deciding whether to get the "shrub" or standard because usually, the "shrub" is advertised as only reaching 2-4 feet tall.

Thank you so much!
anita

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Actually I think mine is now after pruning about 8 feet tall. I guess it just depends on what one wants. Willows are quite forgiving. Mine is very crowded, so doesn't really show to its best advantage. DonnaS

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

I just bought the shrub, and it is at least 5 feet, maybe six, and that was in a pot!

Crossville, TN(Zone 6b)

I definitely like this as a standard over the shrub. Colors are better in the Spring to early summer as the pink shows up more. Now it is green and white and does not stand out as well. I prune the branches that grow askew and try to root them. Sucess rate is 50-50. Linda

West Monroe, LA(Zone 8a)

UH?!! I'm starting to wonder if mine is same shrub. It's the 2nd year for this. Not that big. Heronswood says 3-5'. Maybe I should move it before it gets really big. I love this pretty baby.

Thumbnail by GingerGaia
Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

If it gets too big, can't you prune it to size? They seem to take pruning well.

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

ginger, that looks like it. I got some cuttings in trade last spring, rooted easily. planted inground and got fried in no time during our freak June heat wave. If it grows in LA, it should do well for me in houston area. Will try it again. If anyone has cuttings, I would be interested in trading for Pandora's Box DL.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.