my poor hydrangea has fallen and can't get up!

Bellmore, NY(Zone 7b)

I planted an Endless Summer hydrangea 3 months ago, and it has been blooming for 2 months straight with no sign of stopping - BUT - the blooms were so heavy the poor thing has flopped! It just keeps on blooming right there on the ground! What should I do? Is this because the bush is still young?

It's the shrub to the left of the birdbath. Gorgeous blue blooms! The other 2 are regular hydrangeas, and haven't shown signs of blooming yet. The Endless Summer is at least twice the size of the others!

Thumbnail by cupoftea
Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

No problem, I think this is probably normal for newly planted hydrangeas. Cut it back when the blooms are just about finished. I cut mine back 1/3rd to 1/2 (the branch length). The shorter branches will create new branches, and more branches, more flowers! More branches will help hold up the other branches. You can sometimes get a smaller secondary bloom if you cut it soon enough, too.

K

Bellmore, NY(Zone 7b)

Thanks, Kachinagirl, I feel better now! It seems quite healthy, just a little dragged down!

Santa Barbara County, CA(Zone 9a)

cupoftea, I'm so glad you asked about your hydrangea. I planted an Endless Summer in mid-May and am experiencing the same thing you are. My plant looks healthy, and the middle of the plant is okay, but the outside branches are dragging the ground because they aren't heavy enough to hold up their blooms. I think I'll do what Kachinagirl suggests and cut the branches back when the flowers are on their way out.

Other than this "sagging" problem, Endless Summer sure is impressive -- the blooms have lasted 2 months so far and show no sign of stopping, plus there are lots and lots of blooms.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I stake mine up so that the new growth hardens off and it becomes more firm and easier to hold those huge blossoms.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.