Yellow Fungus

Deer Park, TX(Zone 9a)

I live near the upper Texas Gulf coast which usually makes our cilmate humid. I have noticed yellow fungus on my mulch (at least I think it is fungus). It is not mushrooms, but it is flat, irregular shaped, and a bright pretty yellow the the first day or so. Then it turns brown, and when the water hits it brown spores go everywhere. Does anyone know what this is, and how to get rid of it?

Thanks,

Buffalo, NY(Zone 5a)

Tx, I'm in New York and have the same thing, I was scanning this to see if anyone had any posts and voila. I want to know what it is and how to stop it/kill it/ remove it, never had this in years past. It's humid here, been a warm dry summer, high humidity and well below average rainfall.

Deer Park, TX(Zone 9a)

I tried searching the internet about the fungus but I couldn't find anything . Did have it some last year, but not like this year. I treated the fungus with yellow corn meal - will let you know if it works. Even if it gets rid of the fungus would still like to know what it is and what causes it.

Dearborn, MI(Zone 5b)

It's a slime mold fungus, sometimes called "dog vomit" fungus. It's caused by bacteria in the decaying mulch, and is harmless. It will dry up and disappear in a few days. There's really no way to stop it from forming, but you can scrape it off the surface and compost it or throw it away if you don't like the way it looks.

Deer Park, TX(Zone 9a)

kneff,

Thanks for the info. Thought it had something to do with the mulch.

Buffalo, NY(Zone 5a)

Thanks, I think I'll toss mine in the compost bin, may heat things even higher.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.