Wrinkled leaves on chili pepper plant

Orange, CA(Zone 10b)

I bought this habanero plant from the store and put it in a container about 3 weeks ago. I've noticed that the new leaves are small and wrinkled. What is causing this? What I can do to remedy it?

Quyen

Thumbnail by Quyen
Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

For what it's worth, we had this happen to our habanero plant when we first transplanted it into a raised bed. It was like that for about 3 weeks and then it suddenly took off and started making normal leaves. I have no idea why it happened, but it did recover - it just took time. Hopefully yours will be the same.

Capistrano Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

http://www.cdfa.ca.gov/phpps/ipc/curlytopvirus/ctv_introduction.htm ?
http://www.eppo.org/QUARANTINE/virus/Beet_curly_top_curtovirus/BCTV00_images.htm

i always see those leaf hoppers on my tomatoes and peppers. I hope you don't have it because you live really close to me! ;)

Flanders, NJ(Zone 6a)

Don't panic, I'm no expert, but that's usually normal from too much heat, too much water, and/or an uneven distribution of water, i.e. a lot of sun and heat and no balance with moisture, and then a few days of constant rain or overwatering. You should be fine, but again, ya never know, but I would just wait it out. Good Luck, Danny

Orange, CA(Zone 10b)

Okay, I'll wait and see. In the mean time, I'm moving it to a slightly shadier spot and will use the moisture meter before watering. We've had a few really hot days here and there in the past week. Thank you all.

Orange, CA(Zone 10b)

The move to a slightly shadier spot seemed to help. New leaves are normal looking now. Regular checking of moisture level hasn't hurt either. Here are pics of what it looked like when I first bought it in June and what it looked like about a week ago.

Thumbnail by Quyen
Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

that is looking great, you must be proud!

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

It looks much better now Quyen. I hope you get some good peppers from it. We picked two small ones this week and there are two more larger ones coming from after our plant "recovered" from the wrinkly leaf symptoms. The larger ones are still very green.

Orange, CA(Zone 10b)

Thank you, both. I do feel proud eventhough I didn't grow this one from seeds.

I counted at least 20 peppers but they are still very green. The largest one is already about 1 1/2 in. x 3/4 in. in size but no hint of orange yet. I'm getting very impatient.

My little Thai Ornamental has been going crazy with the flowers and fruits and they turn red much quicker than the habenaro. I also bought this one as a plant.

I'm growing a few Thai Red (dragon, maybe?) from seeds, though. We'll see how they do. I got the seeds from the peppers that I bought from grocery store.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.