Is there such a thing as a black raspberry tree?

Millbury, MA(Zone 6a)

I always think of raspberries growing on bushes, but we have a two 30+ foot trees growing raspberries - all the way to the top branches. Is there such a thing, a black raspberry tree, or are these berries not raspberries, and therefore not likely to be edible? Any one out there have a raspberry tree?

Will try and post a pic...

E

Dearborn, MI(Zone 5b)

They might be mulberries, which do grow on trees (all the way to the top!). They look somewhat like a black raspberry, but when you pick them the thin green stem stays in place. They are edible--the flavor is milder than that of most other berries.

Millbury, MA(Zone 6a)

Thanks Kneff for the tip - I pulled out a tree identification book (which I probably should have started with!) and determined that I do infact have mulberry trees! Most likely White Mulberry - the only Mulberry species without sandpapery leaves. Thanks - Mystery solved!

Dearborn, MI(Zone 5b)

The birds, especially robins and jays, love mulberries--it's lots of fun to watch them (but not so much fun to clean up the mess they make). We still have one tree, but finally had to cut the other down. It had grown so it was overhanging our pond, and it was impossible to keep the pond clean in late June and July. Our indoor cats sit on the porch and enjoy the bird action and the squirrel acrobatics when the tree is full of fruit.

Millbury, MA(Zone 6a)

That is funny - esp because I noticed the large number of blue jays in that part of our yard - must be the attraction of the mulberries! Luckly, we really don't spend that much time under them - so the mess won't be a problem, and we can admire the berries and birds from a distance!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.