Starting new Garden project

Minco, OK(Zone 6b)

Well when fall starts to creep a little closer I will begin my new little project. I am going to try to turn two acres of bermuda grass into a very productive garden. I just order 110 blackberry plants the other day and also would like to plant around 100-150 tomato plants, this will be what my garden will mainly consist of this first year. But I will also have some Okra, Squash,Cantaloupe,Sweet Corn and some Blacked Eyed Peas. I would Like to work in maybe two or two and a half one hundred foot rows or each crop. I will keep this project updated, starting with a pic of the land before anything is done to it.

Audubon, PA(Zone 6b)

okiematerman...This will be interesting and I look forward to your photo updates. What variety of Blackberry --- Arapaho, Choctaw, Kiowa Navaho?? That bermuda grass is pretty tough to get rid of, isn't it?
What varieties of tomato?
LD

PS: A lot of my folks live near Elk City..not far from Minco.

Minco, OK(Zone 6b)

Hey, cottonpicker. Yeah Minco is only about one hour east of Elk City. I planted 20 Kiowa plants last year and really liked what I got from them, so I order 50 more of these. And 60 of the Apache Blackberry. And for the tomatos I decided to go with three different types: Red Bradywine, Arkansas Traveler and some Big Beef. Hopefully these will do alright for this year. I plan on spraying the bermuda sometime in the next few weeks with some post and do alot of chiseling, plowing and tilling.

Audubon, PA(Zone 6b)

Ok...ma.....man... Sounds like a good plan. Wish you the Best!

LD

Minco, OK(Zone 6b)

Heres a pic of the location.

Thumbnail by okiematerman
Audubon, PA(Zone 6b)

well.... that's a start!

LD

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

okiemm, it sure looks like you have a huge project ahead of you. I'm in Yukon, not too far from Minco! I have some friends from Minco and they love it there. Please keep us posted on your progress!

cottonpicker....I was born and raised in Elk City, OK!!! And I just love your name! I was in the cotton fields when I was 6 months old and didn't get out til I was almost 20 yrs old! LOL Luckily I didn't have to pick cotton....just chop cotton! Whew....sure is hot out there in Western Oklahoma!!!

Audubon, PA(Zone 6b)

Great to hear from another Okie!! Yep.... I "chopped" cotton too! For the benefit of others, "choppin' cotton" actually refers to chopping the weeds in the cotton rows, NOT chopping the cotton plants. I'm sending an e-mail to you...
LD

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

bump

What kinds of tomatoes are you growing Okie? Any new pics of your new gardens?

-Kim

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.