Bush Cucumber - Too big for it's pot??

Macomb, MI(Zone 5b)

My bush cucumber seems to be getting awfully big/viney.... do you guys think this is going to be a problem for me? The vines are LOADED with flowers, about 75% male, 25% female, and are getting heavy bee activity. I'm concerned that even though it's in a very large pot, that it's going to get too big for it's britches??

This guy is WAY out flowering the 4 other plants I have out in the garden... I'm stunned, actually.

Thumbnail by tripletmomma2K
San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

The plant is happy and doing its job! The male flowers nearly always outnumber the females by a sizeable ratio in all of the cucurbit family. The term "bush" in regards to cucumbers just means the runners don't stretch out as far. Your "green thumb" worked its magic here.

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

I think that plant is out growing your garden plants because its roots are warmer, being in the pot lets the dirt warm faster than those in the garden.As the season grows on you may see a change in that as the garden ones catch up. I have grown several in five gallon buckets and found they do very well if watered every day and feed well. Some I let grow up on a trellise others I let spraw I think I like the trellise deal because it gives stability to the plant. Nice plant btw very vigorous looking pretty plant where does it stay at night lol.Ernie

Flanders, NJ(Zone 6a)

Mama Mia, or Mamma of 3, that's a beauty. Is that just one plant, per what size container? Danny

Macomb, MI(Zone 5b)

That's a big container... probably about 2-1/2 feet across. I had bought a 4 pack of bush cukes for 99¢ and planted all 4. One of the died, so I guess I'm safe in saying that there are 3 plants in that container.

Dan... did I tell you that I had my triplets at Morristown Hospital, while I was living in Flanders, NJ? I used to live off Route 206, in the "Clover Hill" neighborbood (which is by the A&P) I had just left when they built the Walmart by the International Trade Zone. I miss the scenery there :(

Karen

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.