Help with my new kiwi vine (Issai)

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

I bought a new kiwi vine a few days ago and planted it against a trellis. Here is a picture. When I bought it, everything was green and lovely. Now, as you can see, it is not as green and lovely. Some of the lower bits still are fine. The upper region looks awful. I'm worried it might be a bacterial infection or something. Any ideas? I'm in zone 5a, we have had temps in the mid 80's during the day, 60's at night (or 70s). It is in full sun (like the tag said it should be). I am hoping it is just transplanting stress and that it will recover.

Here is a pic of the whole plant against the trellis.

Thumbnail by DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Here is a pic of the top, specifically.

Thumbnail by DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

And the bottom, which seems relatively healthy.

Thumbnail by DrDoolotz
Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

Hope someone can answer your question. One of mine did the same way when I planted in the ground but it's putting out new leaves. Maybe it's just transplant shock.

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

I think you probably just have a little stress shock, and I'd recommend you cut the stressed strands off, to save it some energy.
It might help it to acclimate a little better, if you can temporarily shade it from direct sun for the first week or so. Nothing fancy, just maybe an old window screen propped over it, or even an old white cotton sheet tacked, or draped from the fence...It could have been in a shadier spot at the nursery and is just having to make an adjustment to stronger sun in your garden...

Here in our zone(and heat) is is a part sun vine, and cannot put if full sun, or it would burn up!
-T

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Thanks - glad I am not the only one who had this happen. I will trim off the dead bits at the top as suggested. I have some old sheets that I use in the garden as shades so I can put that so that it only gets sun part of the day. Good plan. I hope it will recover sufficiently to come back after the winter. It had a baby kiwi on it but that was on the parts that shrivelled up.

A good dose of superthrive will also help it tremendously!

That stuff has brought many of my plants "back from the dead", lol...
It has vitamins and hormones in it, that really help reduce shock and stimulate new root growth...
-T

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Superthrive. Hmmm.....I haven't heard of that. Is it available at places like Lowes or Home Depot? Or is it an online order type of product? I could probably use some of that in a few places!

Yep, you can buy it at Home Depot and Lowes...
It is in a small brown bottle with a yellow label with tons of writing on it...The label kinda looks like a cheap ad at the back of a magazine, lol...but this stuff really works, and only a few drops per gallon...
More if you are trying to help with shock.
I think if you'd type superthirve into google, you'd get their site, and can read more about it...
Only so much they can put on a 3x3 label...
I bought a gallon once($150!) and it had much more specific directions for different situations and applications. I think their website may have all that on there, too...
-T

Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 9b)

It does look like transplant shock. I recently bought a male and female. The female is doing great but the male is being really wimpy. Dropped most of his leaves but is slowly coming around.
Jan...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.