mulching

Martin, MI(Zone 5a)

I have been using cedar mulch on my beds around my house. Someone just told me that using mulch will attract termites. Does anyone know anything about this?

Spring Hill, FL(Zone 9a)

cedar mulch will not attract termites nor will cypress.

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

I've been using cedar mulch for 3 years. I haven't attracted termites, but I do have slugs now. I don't think it matters what kind of mulch you use, but if you use any at all, the slugs come. When I didn't use mulch, I had to weed constantly, but had no slugs. Now I just go slug hunting with a flashlight, a beer, and an empty tuna can. (Half the beer goes in the tuna can for the slugs and half I drink.) :)

It's a 6 of one, half a dozen of the other trade off.

I know, you were asking about termites. I really have no experience with them. But I know that I haven't gotten any from the cedar mulch I use.

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

I didn't think termites came up this far north? More of a temperate bug along with the fireants and mole crickets.

Oak Grove, MN(Zone 4a)

We still get termites up here, they just aren't as big a problem as in the south. The worst part about mulch is the earwigs. They like dark damp places.

Martin, MI(Zone 5a)

yes, the cedar mulch sure helps on the weeding, but I do have alot of earwigs. I think I should be spraying
for these.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.