Daylilys - When do you stop planting in z5?

Albion, MI(Zone 5b)

I have been doing mail ordering this year for the first time. So far so good. In the past I used to visit daylily farms, and select from field plants. I always used to plant clumps and potted DLs throughout the summer up to the end of Sept. with never a problem. Since my previous purchases had lots of dirt I never even cut back the foliage, (just gave lots of water and TLC) and all was fine.

However, I have heard people say that we will lose mail ordered bare-root daylily plants if planted in the hottest part of the summer. And I also recently read that in z5 we should not plant bare-root plants after Labor Day because they need at least 2 months before frost to get established. Are these true of dormants? Doesn't leave any time after June.

What guidelines do you follow for your own plantings? Thanks.

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

I plant new ones all summer. My cutoff for planting is mid August. I don't usually like to plant any after that because like you said in your post, it doesn't give them enough time to settle in.

Cindy

Northern Michigan, MI(Zone 5a)

I just planted some absolutely wonderful dl's I bought on e-bay maybe 2 weeks ago. I was worried about the heat but I noticed this morning they are already sending up some new shoots of green. So I guess that means it's ok....

Made me sooooooo happy I am thinking of buying some more from this person. The ones I got were HUGE with extra fans.

~Julie ..... I'm trying to be good...lol and resist temptation

Oak Grove, MN(Zone 4a)

I planted some daylilies the first week in October last year and they all came up great this year. I'm no expert and I wouldn't recommend going that late if you could help it, but I had extenuating circumstances that forced late planting.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

when they stop arriving! lol ;)

Id say try to end before oct too-gets cold planting then anyway

I do have some that are for fall delivery after oct 3rd-hope its indian summer for a few weeks then! ;)

Albion, MI(Zone 5b)

Thanks to you all, especially for permission to order! Of course, I have never heard a discouraging word from another daylily lover when it comes to getting more daylilies. I am hoping still to get to the Holly Gardens where they have all the Munson cultivars and walk away with some plants (they also sell). Has anyone been there? http://gardenparkinc.com/daylilygarden.html

I also will likely mail order some others in the next week or so. And I want to order from one grower who won't dig again until Sept 1. But he ships that first week of Sept. to the north, so I think I will order some dormants. Now I just have to trim down my wish list of 80 to a manageable dozen or so for now. There is always next spring.

Do you plant evergreens? Noticed any problems with them? I am posting this picture to see how it turns out - haven't sent a pic here before. This is Irish Glory.

Judy

Thumbnail by RiverLiver

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.