Clematis

Shavertown, PA(Zone 5a)

I received some clematis seeds recently. what is the best way to plant them. Can they be put directly into the ground or must they be started indoors? Anyone Know the best way?

Rethymno, Crete, Greece(Zone 10b)

Welcome to the Jobean patience exercise.
Please read that thread:
http://davesgarden.com/showthread/39052.html

and JOIN THE CLUB!! Still, I keep watering them every day and still nothing showing !!
Afterall, I come to think the nurseries do not always charge so much for what they sell.. and it saves your nerves as well. Finally, I think gardening makes you carry out some mental exercises: you learn not to depend on one thing and you also learn to wait for that thing patiently.
Best wishes
Dimitri

The "winter sowing method" worked for my Sweet Autumn Clematis. I planted them in mid-November in my cold frame and they sprouted in mid-January. I also planted my C. drummondii in mid-December, and it sprouted in April. My C. texensis still has not sprouted, although I planted it in mid-December also. Some take up to three years to sprout, as they require a double dormancy. Good luck with yours. The C. texensis is a long awaited child...will do whatever is required to get this one.

Shavertown, PA(Zone 5a)

Thanks for the "news" on climatis. That's disapointing! I've bought several plant from nurseries....some made it, some didn't. It seems that climatis is always recommended as an easy plant to grow but I don't know!!! Maybe it's this area, although out neighbor has several that seem to be doing well. I guess I'll just give it a try and see what happens.

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

viticella and one called "radar love" are the easiest to sprout.

Gillett, PA(Zone 5a)

KathiLo,
I'm from zone 5 too (PA) and I seem to have a hard time with clematis as well! Last year I bought 2 - $10.00 each isn't very cheap to just be dying on me. So any way, I did save my receipt from Lowe's so I did get new ones for free. These new ones just don't seem to be doing good either! Neighbors all @ seem to have beautiful looking clematis, but not mine!! If they survive this winter I'm hoping they have a stronger root system to actually grow and produce flower next year. I haven't given up hope yet.

This message was edited Saturday, Apr 6th 10:28 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.