Hurricane Dennis

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

Here we go again! It started back here: http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/526460/

CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED TO REMAIN FAVORABLE FOR
INTENSIFICATION TO...AND THEN SUSTAINING...MAJOR HURRICANE STATUS.
IN FACT...THE LATEST GFDL MODEL OUTPUT FORECASTS 127 KT AND 931 MB
BY 48 HOURS...

This message was edited Jul 6, 2005 6:08 PM

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

So, who will it hit....not us says my DH....don't worry about supplies....don't buy anything.....have you ever used anything you bought for a hurricane, during a hurricane? I had to answer. No. Well then, the aged sooth-sayer proclaims, you won't need anything this year.....If we get hit, we'll go out for meals...(This truly, with my right hand raised, was the conversation less than one hour ago.)

See people how easy this whole hurricane thing is....you worry too much. Just follow my DH thoughts and November will be here before you know it....

(I, BTW, will probably be blown to Tampa by then!!! ...hungry!!!! LOL)

Hap, what did he eat last year? You must have done OK if he doesn't remember running out of peanut butter! LOL
Pati

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Right now, it looks like Pensacola which puts me on the bad side of the storm.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Pati,

We never have even lost power.....not even with Andrew in '92... we are truly blessed. The worst thing that happened is that we needed a new roof, per the ins company.....Andrew came and wrinkled a few shingles, they did not want to repair so we got a new roof. No leaks were ever had...

So, I quess he is feeling a little smug...too smug for me...of course, then, ...I worry about everything...

Hap

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Hap - somebody has to do it - the worrying. He sure seems like a laid back kind of guy.

Gulfport, MS(Zone 8a)

Gotta admit that i didnt feel like watching and wondering and then scrambling for batteries, so today i completed the hurricane stash, lol. You know, the regular junk, vienna sausage, chef boyardee, tuna, water, batteries, 3 flashlights, water, paper plates, water, cups, silver, water, lol....it was pretty cool because everything was still on the shelf, even the cheap rayovac 9 vt flashlights : ) oh, and i got the last 2 packs of sterno fuel.
It looks like they have widened the strike zone....looks like pensacola to galveston (?) now....whoever gets it, its gonna be ugly.
It'll hit before we know it, they are still saying Monday, right?

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Panama City is in that broad area isn't it?

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Yea, I think we are all in that broad band along the gulf coast. Right now, it has shifted and is looking like it might be closer to Louisiana where it hits. Still puts me and Pensacola on the right side of the storm. I am just not ready for another. At least not emotionally. I did buy flashlights and batteries when we had our tax free hurricane preparedness week. Almost bought a generator. Wish I had. A week without power in the middle of summer was miserable.

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

i tried to buy one but they sold out immediately but have plenty now, go figure. does jeb own a generator company???

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Wouldn't mind a link to the tracl. :-)

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Hi rylaff :) ......now I'm remembering all the poor peeps that were in the path of the last one! Seems to me you and Patischell were amongst the ones that seemed to take forever to check in again.

Maybe y'all should support Jeb's pocket book.....the wondering and waiting is really hard on the rest of us! ;)

Dothan,, AL(Zone 8a)

Hey Rylaff. I don't know if you remember me but we were members of the Enfinger, Holland, Woodham, Womble Family site. I live in Wicksburg, Alabama.

Yeah you are probably close to the path of this hurricane too. Last year my guys worked in Porta Gorda and Pensacola with FEMA until after Thanksgiving. This evening they had a meeting to get things ready to move into the area where Dennis will hit.

The destruction that they saw from Punta Gorda to Gulf Shores can not be described. A total war zone. These areas have not even began to recover.

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

I am hoping it veers enough that we wont be in the path again. Many are still recovering from Ivan, particularly in the Pensacola area. Mimi, you are correct, it did look like a war zone.

Mimi, are you Diane? If so, heck yea I remember you!

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Yes, se_eds, he is laid back...so laid back he's almost comatose....I have to poke him everyso often to see if he's still "here"...LOL Not really true, but close.

Mimidi....that is terrible new about Punta Gorda....Once the Big News of the hurricane passes, the news never stays with the story so we never know what's happening or not happening with neighbors not many miles away. Until Patishchell joked about the blue roofs, I didn't realize that there were so many left.

Then that fiasco in Miami with FEMA's paying out so much for nothing last year....boy, if I still had a blue roof and heard that, I would scream....

Thanks for the update.

Hap

Mount Hermon, LA(Zone 8b)

Hap, I can relate! When my DH got home from work yesterday, I asked if he would take the plywood window-coverings out of the garage. He said I was "panicking." Sheesh! He should know better, especially after Cindy beat the living daylights out of us the night before!

"THE OUTFLOW CONTINUES TO BE WELL ESTABLISHED IN ALL QUADRANTS AND IT IS QUITE IMPRESSIVE ON THE WESTERN SEMICIRCLE...AND THIS IS NOT VERY COMMON"

Does this mean that there is no "dirty side", that it's bad all the way around? anyone?
Pati

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

so how many of yall watch every storm update??? I find myself not wanting to miss an update..like the storm is going to hit in 5 minutes..silly huh.

Isn't the waiting game hard? You pray it doesn't come this way, but yet you don't want it to hit anyone else...sure keeps you on your toes doesn't it. The weathermen are telling us that by Sunday morning all hurricane preps should be in full swing. We haven't got a game plan. I don't even wanna go there..lol.

What is bad is that one of us is going to get it....I don't want to see any of my friends get walloped.

I know that feeling well! We still have blue roofs, but the panhandle people are still in FEMA trailers. How safe is that?

At this point we are not on the strike zone map, but I still check the NOAA site just like it was waiting to pounce. I quess I still remember "Charley". It hung a right into Port Charlotte whan they were evacuating Tampa. After last year I don't take anything for granted!
Pati

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

DH and I had no idea that the panhandle people were still in trailers...how sad....what seems to be the hold-up?....I bet they wished they lived in Miami with all the FEMA money....LOL but not LOL get what I mean?

Hap

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Here's a recent satellite image. Dennis is a really big (and beautiful) hurricane so it looks like all us will be impacted one way or another, even if it's just rain.

I'm trying not to watch full time yet but I know it won't be long. Besides my boss hollers down the hall eveytime he hears something new...Watching and waiting is very tough but it has to be better than getting caught unaware.

Thumbnail by Floridian
Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

From that picture there is no way that FL is going to escape....even the southern tip where I am is going to get the rains....
If it keeps to the NWN even the panhandle could be safe... sorry LA.

Wonderful....another wet weekend in sunny FL.

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

I took a drive over to the Pensacola/Alabama coast area in April and was amazed at the devastation. It looked like the hurricane had just passed through. I swear nothing has been done but a little piling up of debris! Amazing.

Gulfport, MS(Zone 8a)

We're definately watching it here. I *think* the last local update i heard was Gulf Shores, AL had the biggest chance of welcoming it..were not too far from there but at this point who knows?
Cat II now, and starting to form an eye, scary stuff, eh?

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

Today, DH said we're going to get some plywoods for windows, doors and be ready and buy some supplies.. get prepare.. but we are not ready for this..

Start prepare now and be ready if you have to go.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

It doesn't look likely to come this far west. We are praying for all of you in the eastern Gulf!!!

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

AT 11 AM EDT...A HURRICANE WATCH IS ISSUED FOR ALL OF THE FLORIDA KEYS AND FLORIDA BAY.

ALSO AT 11 AM EDT...A TROPICAL STORM WATCH IS ISSUED FOR ALL OF THE SOUTHERN FLORIDA PENINSULA FROM GOLDEN
BEACH SOUTHWARD ON THE EAST COAST AND SOUTH OF BONITA BEACH ON THE WEST COAST.
Pati

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Oh....dear...........mercy..........here we go again.....did anyone read my post about the growth in my yard and hurricanes?

Hap

I'm not sure....can you give me a link?
Pati

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

I have no idea what I do or where I go.....I thought you were suppose to watch me Pati....It's your turn....LOL

It's just that in '92 before Andrew came and did his thing, I noticed things were blooming and growing faster than they usually did....The palms around here were just full of blossoms; way full.

Now this year my dying fruit trees look like teenagers to the point of my gardener asking if I had fertilized them because of all the new growth....

So,,,,, maybe nature knows another Andrew is coming...Remember hearing about the elephants seeking higher ground Before the last tsunami hit? God's little creatures know things we will never even have a clue to....That's my story and I'm sticking to it.......LOLOL

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Cat III....winds 115 gust to 140.......hang on to your hats...............

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Hey, folks... Just returned from the jaunt to see my mother in the nursing home. Drove home ALL day in monsoons, I presume from Cindy. Just getting caught up on the Dennis situation since I had neither radio, tv nor computer on my trip.

Dennis looks bad, and like Pati, I'm not making any bets on the Track until after it happens.I've seen too many diverge from the forecasted track.

Y'all BUTTON UP!

I'm pretty far up, but last year when Ivan came through ... it was bad enough! Had 2 huge poplar trees down (around 75 ft). Smashed our fence and one landed across the yard with its branches against the house. It was truly a miracle. The tree came sooo close to the house that it yanked the hose off the spiket on the back of the house. We had no damage to the house, though. It sounded like a war outside when those trees fell, though. Everyone take care ... stay safe, and remember I'm praying for everyone.

They started evacuation on the Keys today. All visitors and non-residents...no order for residents.......yet!
Pati

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Darius, glad you are home safe....I bet this sorta puts the dampers on any move down here!!!! LOL

Gulfport, MS(Zone 8a)

Looks like it's heading towards Pensacola, and will make landfall appx 2 PM Sunday

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Here's a great link that my DH Paul sent me
http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/float2-rgb-loop.html

Donut, Glad you're home safe, that must have been a tiring trip with weather like that

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Very cool link!!

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Darius, it is a wonder how cut off one can get travelin' along with no tv,radio,or putor. I got completely disconnected. from the world. Oh a quickie one liner delivery on the tv news...when/if ya chk into a motel.. doesn't fill in the gaps.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.