Can someone recommend a shrub for an area

Central, KY(Zone 6b)

that is hard, rocky clay...they will be against the wall of a white metal building, facing west. The whole area only gets full sun starting around 3 PM (it is quite intense in the summer) but it seems pretty bright there all of the time, due to the white metal.

I can post a pic when I get home this evening, if that would help. I plan on spraying roundup to get rid of the weedy stuff that grows right up against the building, then putting down landscape fabric and topping that with large flat rocks along the length of the building, in the drip line.

It's a pretty steep slope that HATE to mow. I'm looking for something with either variegated or colorful leaves or that flowers for at least some portion of the season, probably 4 x 4 to 5 x 5 in size, maximum.

Vicki

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

How about some sort of ground cover? Ajuga, vinca, creeping phloxes, creeping thymes. Snow in the summer is a cute little flowering groundcover. Just a thought.

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

There are many weigelas with colorful and variegated foliage that would be happy in those conditions. And mine have so much low growth that they even smother/shade out pretty much all weeds. Also a Ninebark Diabolo with various other shrubs and perennials would be spectacular against the white building. See these current threads if you haven't already been looking.

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/524238/

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/525738/

Central, KY(Zone 6b)

Lenjo - my first thought was ground cover, but DH asked if there were any "bushes" that would grow there :-) I told him as long as I can find something that doesn't take a lot of maintainance...clipping etc...that "bushes" would be ok.

mickgene - thanks for that weigela info and the links...I had been surfing around and looking at some variegate weigelas, but since I am not familiar with them, wasn't sure about the conditions they'd take....off to check out those links now :-)

Vicki

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

Vicki,
Mine are mostly in clay with a variety of exposures from part shade to full sun. Of course the ones in full sun grow bigger, faster; but they are very hardy and tolerant of many conditions moisture-wise so all mine thrive in all the various conditions.
Michele

edited to say the only "clipping" I do on mine is, at most, once a year right after flowering, to keep my giant one from overshadowing everything around it. But the 'Wine and Roses' have never been cut, I believe (after 5 years in the ground.) Unless you're removing whole branches or substantial sections of them, clipping would ruin their graceful habit, IMHO. Hummers love them when they're in bloom, too, if you're into that.

This message was edited Jul 7, 2005 9:54 AM

Central, KY(Zone 6b)

Absolutely into hummers, glad to know that...I don't have any shrubs except ROS & BF Bush so I'm not aware of the ones the hummers really like! Sounds like a very good reason to go with the Weigela.
Thanks!
Vicki

southwestern, IA(Zone 5a)

I love this shrub. Low maintenance too. Most seem to think it is a slow grower but mine doubled in size in one season.
Pretty green leaves in spring and summer and just beautiful fall red color. I

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/59835/index.html

This shrub is one of the great beauties of the autumn season. It is distinguished by vibrant scarlet foliage and small red-orange fruit in the fall as well as unusual corky "wings" which flare out along its branches. It is effective used in mass plantings, in a shrub border, as an accent plant or as a neat attractive hedge. This is a shrub that is best left unpruned although it can be pruned if you have space issues. It is not fussy about soil requirements (except for excessive wet areas) and there are no significant pest problems. It also transplants very easily. It is truly a maintenance free shrub.

This message was edited Jul 7, 2005 6:21 PM

Central, KY(Zone 6b)

The invasive info I've read on it is why I haven't used it anywhere. It is a beautiful shrub and there are several between here and work that I have admired, but since we have fields surrounding the house and yard, I didn't figure DH would appreciate it that much :-)

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

Everytime I see one, I do a double-take, it's so beautiful. I thnk I'm always hoping it'll be something else which I CAN buy.

Wow I had no idea mickgene. I must admit though I love this shrub, we have even considered 'hedging' the whole yard with them.

Central, KY(Zone 6b)

Japanese Barberry is another one that I really, really like, but it is also considered invasive....seeds spread by birds...etc... :-(

Thanks for the link to that site too, I had it bookmarked at one time but it was one of MANY that I lost when the computer crashed last fall.

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

One of my favorites for lots of color is spiraea of various types - also invasive. Since I found out a few years ago, I haven't added any but I also can't bring myself to rip them out. I'm being diligent about deadheading (which need to be done as soon as Cindy passes by) and not giving away any volunteers I find. I hope that'll work. But I think I need to add not recommending them to anyone to my list of efforts. I get so much enjoyment from the bursts of color they provide, that I forget not to tell people to use them in combos with contrasting shrubs.

This message was edited Jul 7, 2005 9:59 PM

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

You mentioned steep slope, reflected heat, intense at 3pm +. I'm thinking more on the lines of Hibiscus syriacus cv's, Variegated Yuccas, Amorpha underplanted with Asclepias, Amsonia. I get the picture you want low-maintenance. Heat, intense light, fast drainage - go for more of the xeriscaping stuff. My 2-cents.

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6b)

I have extremely heavy clay soil and the shrubs that have performed best for me are Japanese Barberry 'rosea' ( the red and pink foliage is lovely and I've had no problem with invasiveness), pyracantha, variegated weigela (though they can get a little spindly without trimming every year or so) and buddleia. I just stuck them in a hole with no special preparation and they need little maintanence.

Central, KY(Zone 6b)

Thanks growin and Redsprite! I can use all of the ideas I can get...this project may not get underway until next spring, but I want to be ready with a plan when the time comes!

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

I'm for the Diabolo Ninebark! It is one of the two best plants I've ever had. You could do a planting of it with the "Wine" Weigelas. You could put in Ajuga underneath.

I do nothing to my Ninebark. i think I watered it once or twice when I first got it. It never gets chewed. If it gets too big, whack it down in spring.

It has every color in the leaves- purple, yellow, green, pink, red, and blue. Every time I go on that side of the garden I have to go look and touch it. It really draws your attention. You could put it with anything and it will look good.

Quite a beautiful shrub Ivy1. I may look into them myself. thanks!

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

I definitely agree with Ivy1's suggestion; please be sure to see my 7/7 7:17am post for the companion plant threads for the Diabolo.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.