Thinking of trimming my curly willow tree/shrub

Porterfield, WI(Zone 4b)

I have a curly willow which has branches all of the way to the ground, and I would like to take the bottom ones off, so it has a little more shape and can hang down. I would also like to start many cuttings from it.

Is this a good time to do this? Will they root in a pail of water like a weeping willow, or should I take smaller cuttings, using hormones and stick them? The problem is that we are very dry right now, and no relief in sight, and I'd really like to get on this project.

I have seen a curly willow "tree", is this just in how it is pruned, or is there a separate tree and shrub?? Any advise appreciated. Legit

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

I have a friend who has this and she trims it most anytime. And hers is a tree. I took some branches and just stuck them in the garden and they rooted. I would think since you are so dry and warm, try to find something semishady and try to keep damp and they should root easily. Good Luck.

Buffalo, WV(Zone 7a)

These will root in a bucket of water.

Porterfield, WI(Zone 4b)

Thanks, guys, I did not get around to trying this yet, maybe I will do some both ways, sounds like a good quick project for tomorrow, I will have both my little grandchildren around. I'm always looking for "easy" garden chores when they are around. Legit

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.