I've spent hours searching without success HELP

Chapin, SC(Zone 8a)

Our home is on a narrow lot with the houses very close together. My neighbor has recently installed a 6ft shadow box fence out of treated lumbar--it's very unattractive. I do not want to plant shrubs due to the space issue. I have decided to (with neighbors permission) screw hooks into the fence about every 10ft or so and hang (scallop) a light weight plastic or alumnium chain from them. The span from end to end is approx. 100ft. I would like to plant a vine that will attach to the chain and vine along the chain. I assume I will need to plant every 10 ft My preference would be an evergreen vine of some sort, flowers or not. Something plush. My soil is clay and the vine would receive full sun. I live in zone 8. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

the only things i can think of are ivy type vines and what i call periwinkle vine( vinca something ).

Jacksonville, TX(Zone 8a)

Evergreen Wisteria Vine Millettia reticulata [Perennial]
would be nice
http://www.magnoliagardensnursery.com/productdescrip/Milletia_Ever.html

http://www.almostedenplants.com/mall/Evergreenwisteria.asp

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Honeysuckle is evergreen, fragrant, fast growing, and tolerates heat and full sun.
It can provide a great network frame of branches, and next year you can plant other vines, even annuals, that can use the honeysuckle brances to climb, and help fill in even more.

Hedera helix(ivy) is also evergreen in your zone and doesn't even need any support. It will cling to the fence all by itself. It is cheap, and easy to find...

As Emma suggested evergreen wisteria is great, but slow growing and you'd need a lot of it...It can sometimes be hard to find...especially in mass quantities. I am in zone 8 also, and they are not quite "evergreen" for me...they lose their leaves from Jan-Feb, and refoliate, in March.

Carolina jessamine is another great blooming evergreen for your zone. It blooms in Fall with yellow flowers and is also pretty easy to find, and inexpensive.

I'm not saying these are my first choice vines for any situation, just the best EVERGREEN vines for meeting the criteria for your situation.
-T

San Jose, CA(Zone 9a)

I am new to clematis...but for those of you that are familiar with it...wouldn't the montana varieties be good for this use, or is it too much sun? I understand it is evergreen and grows 20-30 feet and can take over an area. I just got the Snowdrift variety...I also just bought a Helsinborg, which I read is good for covering the bare lower stems of c. montana varieties...the Helsinborg is dark purple and the Snowdrift is white, which I think will look very pretty together...

Margie

Thumbnail by picturelady

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.