too tall

Pickens, SC(Zone 7a)

since we have this forum...next year I must learn better management techniques...I have one dahlia that is Sooooo tall...too tall. would pinching have helped that...I was scared to try !

Monroe, NC(Zone 7b)

It sort of depends on what type of dahlia it is. But I pinch the main stem out of most of mine when they have 4 branches. Then it stops most tall growth and makes more side blooms. Works great for me. Our local dahlia society assigned me a mentor that actually came to my house and taught me how. As a matter of fact...you should join. It is the Carolinas Dahlia Society. They are meeting Sat. for lunch in Hendersonville! What fun. If you want more info let me know. It is a fun group and a great way to come home with zillions of tubers.

Pickens, SC(Zone 7a)

sounds great for sometime in the future...right now...with rain every day..I'm swamped...:) in more ways than one ..LOL

Monroe, NC(Zone 7b)

OK. Hope you survived the big rain storm yesterday. It is just now getting to us. I'll let you know when the next meeting is. It will probably be the 1st sat in August and it is normally somewhere in Asheville or Hendersonville. I think that most of the members live up there. They have an easier time growing dahlias because it is cooler.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.