Hyacinth bean vine

Rockford, IL

I purchased this vine for the first time this year and the plants are doing well. Does anyone know how to harvest the seeds so I can plant my own seeds next year? Let the pods dry on the vine and then remove/store? Thanks.

Lilburn, GA(Zone 7b)

Cate...isn't this a great vine? I just love the flowers!
Down here in atlanta, I just let the seeds dry and drop to the ground, there's lots of seedings in the spring to go around, LOL. I don't know how cold hardy these guys are.
I would probably suggest the same, let 'em dry.

Shepherd, TX(Zone 8b)

Yes, you let the pods dry, but I wouldn't let them all drop to the ground. They're extremely prolific and will take over the neighborhood! :-)

Rockford, IL

Thanks for the info Carole & QueenB. They are very pretty plants--both the flowers & the pods. Supposedly the pods are edible--have you tried them? Looks like they could go in some kind of stir fry dish instead of snow peas. :)

Dothan,, AL(Zone 8a)

I planted this vine with my moonflower vine this spring. The combination has worked out real well on my trellis.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I planted my vine with japanese morning glory hein umi, (that might be spelled wrong). but their both doing great, I never moved them from the inside of the barn, and now their almost reaching up to the second floor of the barn, Dh said I had to move the pot cause he didn't want them up in the rafters. LOL. So we'll move it today somewhere so it can be appreciated more and viewed more. the purple hyacinth, is just now starting to bloom, no blooms on the morning glories yet.

kathy

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.