Heuchera "Green Spice"

Springboro, OH

What do you have planted with this? After following the thread about color echoes, I'm trying to experiment a little. Any ideas for a shade loving plant that I could group with the heuchera to really make it stand out?

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Thumbnail by JeniLyn
Rockford, IL(Zone 4b)

The colors in it reminds of a japanese painted fern - maybe interplant with a burgundy leaf huechera, as well? Astilbe Sprite has bronzish leaves, and the pink bloom would be nice with this, too

Springboro, OH

Ohhh, those are some awesome suggestions. I will look into them. Thanks!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

It would be pretty in front of Cimicifuga 'Hillside Blackbeauty' ....

North East England, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

You could consider a tiarella, bronze grass or the painted fern - that's a beautiful specimen. Green Spice is one of my favourites.

Thornton, IL

Love the idea of the cimicifuga lev! It would also be outstanding with some Pennisetum setaceum 'Rubrum' purple fountain grass, or Panicum virgatum 'Shenandoah' switchgrass, with some pansies in antique shades, little ivies. 'Black Magic' Colocasia esculenta underplanted with Green Spice, maybe a few stems of 'George Davidson' crocosmia.Very nice plant Jenilyn!

Northern, VA(Zone 7a)

'Green Spice' is the only heuchera that didn't live in my garden. I planted three and they disappeared in about two months! There are lots of possible reasons -- not enough water; food for voles; tree roots won in the competition... but at any rate, I'd love to hear if it thrives for you. I'm willing to try it in a different bed if weakness in the cultivar itself isn't the issue.

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

It should do well in the shadow of a Weigela 'Wine and Roses' or Physocarpus 'Diabolo'. Just be sure to put it on the shady side of the shrub.

(Zone 7b)

JuliaT, I'm going to be waiting for a reply on that, as I ordered that one for spring!

Gravois Mills, MO(Zone 6a)

I am going to buy about 15 heuchera this year. I hope to start picking them up next week. Also more heucherella and tiarrellas. some of these will be used as acompanying plants for hosta. The others will be placed into a deep shade bed with maybe Helleborus.

(Zone 7b)

Ozarkian, are heucheras like hostas, in that some can take more sun?

Mint Hill, NC(Zone 7a)

I have mine in afternoon sun and it gets big and very pretty but.. we don't get as hot here as the midwest(maybe 95 and that is scorching here) But some morning sun would be fine for this plant It looks stunning next to H. 'Obsidian'. I also have most of my Heucheras in sun they fade away and die in the shade here.

Gravois Mills, MO(Zone 6a)

Zeus you and chickory are both in the norht I imagine what workd for her might work for you. I do not know how BC can be in zone 7b is what confuses me. That is one thing ab out Daves garden it is hard to relate to other zones. As stated above the zone thing enen seems a bit wacked. Chickory 95 is scotching here also. I think there is more to it than saying 95. It is how long it is 95 how fast it goes down in the evening after a 95 day etc. Here is it hits 95 it might still be 90 between 10 and 11 pm. . There are so many variebles it is sometimes hard to judge but they say Heuchera are shade plants and I think they better be in the shade when it is hot and sunny anywhere.

(Zone 7b)

ozarkian,
I'm on Vancouver Island, so we have a different climate than the mainland, milder in some ways.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

So far my 'Green Spice' is performing well. It came from Forest Farm last spring, and has kept nice foliage all winter and has nice new growth now. I found it interesting that out of 6 new varieties I planted in that area, 'Green Spice' and 'Amber Waves' were the only 2 the deer did'nt dine on late this winter (those that were munched have been moved closer to the house and are recovering, thank goodness).

I have a Japanese Painted fern near it, but I love the idea of adding Cimicifuga 'Hillside Black Beauty' to the mix. Until I find one of those (cheap enough) I think I'll fill in with dark coleus or alternathera.

Thornton, IL

Howdy Neal! How have you been? Yes, cimicifuga is one of the plants I must add to the garden this year! It looks like such an interesting and versatile accent plant.

Rockford, IL(Zone 4b)

I just put in some cimifuga last fall from an end-of-season sale. Looking forward to seeing it do it's stuff this year. I have mine planted by heuchera regina, and some brunnera Jack Frost, so I think it should be an interesting color combo.

Thornton, IL

How many of each plant ss? I have heuchera Amethyst Mist (one plant) but sadly, no Jack Frost, just one or two brunnera macrophylla. Maybe I could add some licorice vine to punch things up? Where did you find the cimicifuga?

Rockford, IL(Zone 4b)

I bought the cimifuga at Village Green here in Rockford, 3 of them. There are two brunneras. I would have liked more but that was all that was left. the huechera regina came from bluestone two years ago, about 6 of them. I'm hoping to add more brunnera this year if I can find some that's not too pricey.

Thornton, IL

If I see any around here I'll let you know. I'll probably combine the heuchera in a container with a tricolor sage I have. Green Spice would probably look great with them!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.